Dive Report Watch Hill Westerly, RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dive 2085 8-31-2019 Watch Hill Point Lighthouse Westerly, RI Phil

What a beautiful day for diving! Phil and I went for a snorkel/scuba dive. Sunny, cool, no wind, 1' swells. We almost aborted, the road to the lighthouse is a long walk and no cars are allowed.....except for those 65 and older, hey that's me!

After driving to the water and finding a nice parking spot; we picked the worse possible spot to enter the water. I had my camera and my foot fins neither one helpful on a rocky bottom with small, short interval swells moving you around. After 20 minutes of bobbing and gurgling I got my fins on and was ready to go, huffing like a locomotive. We snorkeled for the 1st part of the dive; Phil was looking to use his new gun. I was wearing a 72 w the dbl hose, Phil had a 40 on his back. I decided to look for a subject so I went to the scuba for the rest of the dive. We headed south along the point until we hit a group of anglers, we turned back there, as it was as close to the Race as I'd like to get at least in the water.

I didn't have a PDC or a depth gage, so I don't know what the temps were or how deep I went. My guess is 15FSW max and mid 60's bottom temp. Visibility was a good 10', 20' inside the breakwater.
Not a lot of fish outside the breakwater a few big togs at the point of the inner breakwwater, some blue crabs, scup, horseshoe crab and the ever-present cunners. Inside the breakwater were several small bait balls, big gardens of eel grass separated by large patches of sand. No seahorses. I exited inside the breakwater where there were no swells, only small rocks and sand, the over 65 exit. The total BT 50min total time in water 75 minutes No pictures. Well one picture of Watch Hill point. On the left side of the picture there is a small breakwater jutting out away from the point that is the breakwater mentioned in the report. We dove from the breakwater to about the lighthouse then back around the breakwater into the cove an the other side, exited out at the seawall.

watch hill.jpg

Inkedwatch hill_LI.jpg

Projected path of the dive based on my observations when snorkeling and "spy hopping" while on scuba.
The red ball is where we parked.
The yellow ball was our ingress, don't go there.
The black ball is my egress and my the ingress for any future dives there
The yellow line is of course our projected path.

It might however I'd have to find out if cars are allowed there after sunset. Also I'm not sure if a town sticker is needed, my buddy Phil has one on his truck which is what we used. We were greeted by a badged uniform gentleman that asked the obvious if we are diving, no problem good luck was his reply. We saw him post dive standing in the middle of the entrance on our way out.

Parking on the street there requires a town sticker Phil told me. So it may very well be nice spot for a night dive but it may not be accessible.

Well, you are no Taylor Swift... so I can see why getting in on a night dive might be tough....

And for that I am grateful to the creator. No amount of money is worth being that stupid.

Yeah, but she gets beach front

I have river front, on the most popular recreational river in southern RI 200' of it as a matter of fact.
Hey I think you may have jinxed her by bring her name up. Some barefooted bozo broke into her Westerly beach front home yesterday.

So it may very well be nice spot for a night dive but it may not be accessible.

"The parking lot is indeed part of the property, and I cannot authorize the use of the lot after hours.
Thank you for your understanding,
A. Johnson
President, WHLKA"

Maybe I should not have asked...

"The parking lot is indeed part of the property, and I cannot authorize the use of the lot after hours.
Thank you for your understanding,
A. Johnson
President, WHLKA"

Maybe I should not have asked...

Well in that case Westerly's Finest would have informed you, have they towed your car and you called them to report a stolen/missing car.

Back
Top Bottom