Dive Report (Va Beach): Night diving the Monroe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wil

Contributor
Reaction score
Another fantastic diving day (night). We departed out of Vinings Landing Marine Center at 1630 Staurday and headed up to the Monroe. The Monroe was a passenger liner that sank after a collision in 1914. She rests about 17nm off Watchapreague in 90ft of water. I enjoy diving this wreck because it's not dove that often and has an amazing amount to offer. The wreck has deteriotated alot sink its sinking but has great opportunities to spearfish, explore, or grab Lobsters.

Onboard Freedom were "the Joe's"; Joe D from Dive Quarters, Jo-Jo from Dive Quarters, and Joe R sometimes from Dive Quarters. We made the 68nm run from Little Creek Inlet in just over 2 hours. Seas were low but choppy and kept our travel speed down. Once we'd cleared the Chesapeake Bay we increased speed but were met by a forecasted wind shift about half way up the coast - more chop. Still 68nm in 2 hours and 15 minutes ain't bad. :eyebrow:

Joe D and I made the tie in and set down a wreck reel line for the other pair during their dive. We covered the bow area and surrounding debris field. We bagged a few Lobsters on our first pass and strung 12 Flounder as well. Visibility was better than 40ft eventhough the daylight was fading. We experienced minimal current and temps on the bottom at 47deg. The warm 74deg water above the thermocline (33ft) was welcome during our safety stop.

Our second dive was focused solely on Lobsters. By the time the second divers emerged from the dark we knew the bugs would be on the prowl. Joe and I swept over the wreck putting the females w/eggs back (they were huge) and discarding the smaller bugs. We bagged another 2 dozen bugs on that dive. Just what we needed for tonight's dinner party at Joe's.

Freedom's hardtop and LED lighting were big hit. Switching from LED White to Red was great for getting ready for the dive and the hardtop kept the rain off us during a light rain shower at the end of the dive.

We pulled the hook and started home around 0200. It was slow going on account of the limited visibility (overcast and DARK) so what took 2 hours earlier in the evening took another 2 heading home. We set the autolpilot and took turns standing the wheel watch while the other pair slept. We pulled into Vinings at 0600, unloaded the gear, cleaned the boat, and dressed out the fish in 2 hours...in the rain.

The look at the marina from the early morning fishermen preparing to leave was priceless. At first they couldn't believe we were heading back in or were fishing at night. Then they saw the dive tanks and knew we were crazy for being "out there at night". "Why on earth would we go out at night?" They asked. Then we showed them the cooler full on Lobsters...I reminded them that rods & reels don't work on bugs :D

Another great day diving on Freedom!

Safe Diving,
Wil

Last edited:
Great report and the Monroe is one of m fav's also. Never dove her at night but I have some memorable dives in the daylight hours. We are lining her up for a double header later this season including a stop by the parking lot.
Eric

I must say for being the new guy on the freedom I had a awesome time diving with will and the other joes. Beings it has ben 5 years since might last night dive off the east coast it wast truely wonderful to finnally hit the water again. I dove my drysuit saturday night on figuring that the water temp on the bottom wouldnt quite be warm enough for my wetsuit. Boy am I glad I did. Temp was quite cool still high 40's on the bottom. I didnt get any keeper lobster or flounder but I did try just dont quite have the experience as joe and will. Maybe one of these days i will be an expert bug grabber in due time. It was still fun to get wet again since it has been over a month since my last dive. Now just got to get ready for round 2 hopefully to redeem myself with a few bugs and some flounders.

Randy,
Our catch was only the half of it! One of Joe's friends caught a big-eye tuna the night before out of Oregon Inlet. It was all good!

Back
Top Bottom