Dive Report: Va Beach - Luckenbach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wil

Contributor
Reaction score
Another beautiful day on the water off Virginia Beach. Though the NOAA forecast didn't exactly come true... The ride outbound was a bit bumpy, making about 22-28 knots; we occasionally hit one of those dominant waves and sent gear shifting. We departed Vinings Landing (Little Creek inlet) at 0715 and had our first divers in the water at 1010. Diving today was Joe (Dive Quarters), Bobby (RAD Diver), Kevin (Kevin_K), Randy (Randy g), Wendy (Diving Wife), and I.

The surface water temps were 76 deg and the thermocline (deeper than three weeks earlier) at 65ft. Water temps below the thermocline to the bottom were a welcome 66deg. Visibility average about 10ft, not the best but diveable with a wreck reel.

We'd tied in near the stern, between the boilers and propeller shaft. Wendy and I headed aft on our first dive and explored the stern. We found a few lobsters but after wrestling them from their holes found them to be a bit on the small size. Following the dive our computers showed a max depth of 94ft and total dive time of 45 minutes (with a 3 minute safety stop). We were the second divers to hit the water after the others re-boarded. During our ascent Wendy gave me the dreaded "ears aren't clearing" sign at 68ft but with plenty of reserve air (33% NITROX) we took a long while to work through the issue. She made a textbook ascent and we decided to not chance another dive on that day. While doing our safety stop we were greeted by a friendly barracuda.

I'll let the other divers add their dives to the post. There's tales of Flounder wrestling (That would be bagging up Flounders with only using your hands - NO spear and NO knife) and lobsters.

They were a great group of divers and it was a pleasure to welcome Randy aboard the boat.

Safe Diving,
Wil

Pretty quick Will.
As always it was a great day out on the water, I have been in Hatteras mating off the "Under Pressure" for most of the summer so my diving off of Va. Beach lately has been very sparse.
I ran a reel on both dives with Randy following close behind,on the 1st dive I saw a HUGE Sea Turtle sitting just on top of the wreck, but he decided it was too crowded with the 2 of us so he departed before Randy could see it. I then showed Randy a nice sized Lobster, but left him there. I was at turn pressure so we returned to the anchor, 35 min BT total run time of 43 minutes. I got 69 degrees on the bottom.
2nd dive we went in another direction along the side plates & saw lots of good size SeaBass a few kind of small Tautogs & some more Lobsters, along with a big Flounder, but we kept our hands off them & when I hit turn pressure we headed back. Another 35 min BT, but I went into Deco by 8 min, no real big deal, I still had 1200+ psi in my double 108s so 2nd total run time was 53 minutes.
A fine return to our fair waters, not the greatest vis, but I've seen worse & the temp was an unexpected pleasure.

Will/Bobby,

Great dive reports. I thought that Earl would have stirred up the water and that there wouldn't have been anyone going out. But from the sounds of it, Earl brought a little warm water and had a little more marine life for everyone (even if the vis left something to be desired).

Glad that you all were able to head out and enjoy some diving. Hope that Wendy is feeling better and I'll interested in the flounder wrestling story...

Ted

What a great day! HUGE thanks to Bobby and Will for inviting me and having me onboard!!! You guys are the best.:wink:

This was my first venture out off of VB this year and it was a very, very fun day. Working this weekend paid off I guess, Bobby asked me to dive with him on sunday as I was driving past his house on the way to my jobsite and I jumped at the opportunity to blow bubbles with him. :D

This was my second time diving off of VB and like the first, it was a very cool dive site. The Luckenbach is a great dive with lots of holes to pop your head into and lots of marine life to see. As long as I kept Bobbys line in sight in the 5-10 vis was no problem and we would be just fine. It was a real treat watching Joe scratch the flounders back with his gig and Bobby pointed out the lobsters. I learned a few things this trip about catching dinner as well, the flounder will swim into the catch bag if your nice to them!:cool2:

The dives went well, other than one brainfart:dork2: on the first dive but other than that they were awesome dives and the day was a total blast. Joe was good for some great stories, Kevin was the awesome dude that he is, Wendy thanks for keeping me company on the aft deck, it was great talking with you, Bobby you don't suck now :wink: and Will thanks for allowing me the opportunity to dive with such a great group of friends!

PS.....the fish and lob were great. Thanks for the recipe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom