Dive Report (Va Beach): Kurn/Tercel and Clark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wil

Contributor
Reaction score
There aren't many days like the one today off Virginia Beach. Though the water was on the cooler side the visibility and sea state were incredible!

We departed Vinings Landing Marine Center (Little Creek) at 0730 and made 45mph on the way outbound to the Triangle Reef area. Finding a local fisherman on the Clark we dropped over to the Kurn/Tercel and splashed our first divers. Kevin (Kevin_K) and Randy (Randy g) made the first dive and reported 50 feet of visibility, cool water, and minimal current top to bottom. They explored the Bow section and cable field during their dive. No Flounder were seen and Taugs & Sea Bass were out of season. They did report seeing a large Lobster on the wreck but didn't hazard a grab on it.

Mike, Joe-Joe, and I made our dive as soon as the first two were safely on the boat. I found the surface water temp at 56deg and the bottom temp at 46deg (yes, a bit cool). However, the visibility was great! We made our dive at an average depth of 100ft for 43 minutes. We found the Lobster and the initial snatch & grab didn't work so well. Large Lobsters (I estimate about 12 pounds) don't get big being slow or stupid. I know were he (male -I hope) lives and I'll be back another day. Besides, I was just the camera guy on this dive. (I use a Sony Hi-Definition Video Camera in an Amphibico Endeavor housing).

We pulled the hook and made our way up and over to another wreck in the Triangle Reef area, called the Clark. Also sunk as part of the artificial reef, the Clark is a former Liberty Ship. She's got lots of structure, relief, and debris field to explore. We found Under Pressure anchored on the Haviland, just to the north, said our hellos and made for our wreck. We made the same dive order and found the same wonderful conditions. We hooked just forward of the mid-ship break. Incredibly large Taugs populated the area (must've known it was the first day of their being out of season). Another two great dives on the wreck and we pulled the hook and headed home. I recorded a 35 minute dive with a max depth of 106feet, same visibility and temps.

With seas almost glassy smooth we rocketed home at 46mph. All the way back we talked about how great the conditions were and how we need to head out again...soon.

Safe Diving,
Wil

I'm glad you had a great day diving in Virginia Beach. I became a scuba diver because my dad used to take me deep sea fishing off of Virginia Beach and it's one of my fondest memories.

Thanx for posting, I got word friday my drysuit is on its way back from repair so I hope to post next weekend!
Eric

Will great report and a great day of diving. It was my first venture into the deep blue for the year and a few other first for me as well. First time diving my (new to me) drysuit in the ocean and man am I loving it! As cold as it was, I stayed relatively warm by my past wetsuit standards.

Lobzilla was a cool find and had I known then, what I know now, I could have possibly snagged him. LZ (as we will call it) had his claws hanging out of the hawser, chillin (literally...heeheeee) at the top of the big hole he filled up. It was the largest lobster I had ever seen.

Dives went well. Kevin and I worked on some certification stuff that we had learned with out new instructor/mentor Andy Beaton at Lake Rawlins a couple of weeks ago and some other buddy team stuff, assisting me with my trim, moving weight around. It was my first dive in the Andys drysuit and my trim was way off but once I got used to it, it all went well. The second dive went great and the wreck was pretty damn cool with lots of structure and big open rooms/areas to poke my Novae STT50 light into. Man is this thing bright!!!!

I am loving all the stuff that I acquired over the winter. Trying to build up my dive kit is tedious and time consuming but man is it great to use. I am really looking forward to the 2011 dive season!

Sounds like a fun day. I got to spend the day in the pool with Joe:crazyeye: I t is intersting to see him teach a dive class. Definetly a learning experience for me for sure. I cant wait to get out and do some saltwater dives again.

Glad you had a nice day in the pool:D...I know a few of us on Sunday would've welcomed some of that warm DQ pool water. I should've brought out the dry suit but opt'd for the semi-dry. I was loaning another diver my semi-dry to try out and used Joe's from the shop.

Sunday was one of the premier diving days off Virginia Beach. As I mentioned, just a little on the cool side but great diving. When I figure out how to post video, I'll include some clips. I just drive the boat and shoot the video & pictures, my Wendy is the computer geek and does the editing.

Safe Diving,
Wil

Yeah me and dave were wondering how the dives went when I saw him today. I learned a lot of good info from joe this weekend plus I have never got to work with him before now with a class. So I now have gotten to see how each person teaches the basics to open water and I must say everyone has their own way of doing it. Which is good for me because it just gives me a wider perspective on how to teach once I get to that level. It was a good time thats for sure. Plus to here joe share some of his personal experiences diving is always a pleasure to listen to. I just cant wait to get back into the salt sometime.

Love to see the video and stills you got Will. I feel very fortunate to get invited to dive with you guys and really appreciate the opportunity to do so. As always, it was an epic day! Thanks again.:D

I don't know where all this cool water talk is coming from.
It was perfect, our charter thought it was actually warm.
I'm glad I was already in the water for the early moon rise, I had just eaten lunch.

Bobby,

After diving in the warm tropical waters of Truk Lagoon for two weeks, anything less than 85deg seems a bit cool to me. I'll need to make a few more dives to re-acclimate & calibrate. I want to get in a whole bunch of diving this season before I transfer.

Safe Diving,
Wil

Back
Top Bottom