Dive Report: Tiger off Va Beach (6/26/09)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wil

Contributor
Reaction score
A trip to the Tiger wreck should be an easy thing. It's off the south end of Va Beach (Sandbridge) only 8.5nm offshore. But when the wind and sea state doesn't cooperate it makes for an interesting day. The sea sate outbound was less swell-like (the forecast) and more steep-like. Winds picked up during the day to an estimated 15-20 knots during our stay. With white caps all around and diving completed we headed back skirting the shoreline to minimize the WNW winds and wind driven waves. A much easier ride back and faster. Diving with us were RAD Diver and his wife, two new divers Dan and Frank, and my wife and I.

The Tiger is a Tanker torpedoed in 1942 which foundered during its tow back to Norfolk. As a hazard to navigation, it was later reduced to a large debris field. At just under 60 feet it's a great wreck to gain ocean diving experience before moving on to deeper and larger wrecks.

We tied into the wreck about 40 feet aft of the boilers, which are the most prominent feature of the Tiger. Visibility was 20-25 feet with a slight bottom current. The surface water temperature was 72 deg and remained warm down to about 35 ft. The thermocline at 35 ft dropped the temp down to 64 deg and increased the visibility. Just below the thermocline the wreck emerged beneath us. On a wreck that resembles a large debris field more so than an intact ship with recognizable features, it's best to use a wreck reel for navigation even with 25 ft vis.
On the bottom we found Skates everywhere. Their gray/brown camouflage wasn't working well in the light colored sand and dark rusted plates around the wreck. We found Flounder as well, Sea Bass; not in great numbers and saw a Taug or two around the boilers. RAD Diver went further into the debris field on his first dive and found many more Flounder.

I was diving with the two less-experienced divers (you only get experience one way - dive more) and though we had a bit of weighting issues on the first dive attempt we were able to get to the bottom on the second dive. We explored along the wreck reel I'd put out when I tied us in earlier. During my dive with my dive buddies, I wanted to focus on their exploration of the wreck and not on fooling around with a reel. They got to see a good portion of the wreck, the fish and, most importantly, gain more experience.

Though it was not the best conditions to be offshore, we had a good day diving with better than average bottom conditions.

Safe Diving,
Will

Editorial Comment: Our first planned dive didn't get to a great start. Too many problems with proper weight made for a very difficult time on the surface trying to get it right. Proper buoyancy control starts with proper weighting. If you're off by an inch-you're off by a mile. You'll likely fight an under/over weight condition your entire dive, working harder and using more air, then enjoying the diving less. Practice proper buoyancy control and improve your diving enjoyment. It all starts with your weight.

Thnx for the report

Thanks for the report. I often wondered what the wrecks off SB are like. I knew there were wrecks out there, but have not been to them yet.

Randy,
The wrecks off Virginia Beach and the Eastern Shore are many and have something for everyone's interest. There's old sailing vessels and barges, commercial fishing vessels, casualties from WWII, Liberty Ships, and many other marine casualties sunk as part of the Artificial Reef project.
The diving is great but weather conditions aren't always certain. It's best to check with the local dive shops for more information on the wrecks and on availability of charter trips.

Safe Diving,
Will

Thanks Will, I have been talking to the guys at DQ and to Bobby about whats going on in the area. I moved here last year and I am really looking forward to diving the area. We (my GF and I) are looking forward to getting wet alot over the next few months and next year. We are in the process of getting our AOW and Rescue completed at the moment. If you have any room on upcoming trips please consider the both of us.

We had a great time out there as usual, Trina was quite pleased she didn't get sick in the conditions.
She also did very well running & retrieving her reel for the 1st time.
The bottom conditions weren't that bad, the current was more a pain than a problem, but if you didn't pay it some attention it would get you in trouble.
Where we were hooked you had to go with the current 1st & then against it on the way back, not how they teach it, but this is the real world & you must be able to judge how to get back to the line in time with gas remaining in your tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom