Dive report: Provo: Turks & Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nor'easter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dove 5 days with Caicos Adventures. Weather was great and Fifi and his crew were all fantastic. I went alone, and if I hadn't met a great couple the first day, I would have found this island VERY boring. I stayed at Turtle Cove at the Miramar Resort (I got sick the second day and am suspicious of the air in that hotel, esp after finding that the guest next door got the same respiratory symptoms). The hotel was so quiet that I rarely saw other guests. If you don't rent a car, you're out of luck. A cab is typically $12-$20 and taking the Gecko bus means sitting on a curb for a half an hour on some dark, remote street.

Every restaurant I went to was good (Tiki Hut, Shark Bites, Coco Bistro, Baci, Aqua (for b'fast), and best lunch was at da Conch Shack over by Blue Hills.) But frankly, I can get more interesting island food back home. This is not an island for people who like to get out and explore, meet cool people and find interesting cuisine.

As for diving: Fifi and the crew were excellent. They have the best, fastest, most comfortable boats. They go to the best sites (Tons Of Sponge, The Anchor, French Cay Garden, Cape Corsica...). And they respect your level of experience. The life u/w was good, not great. On 10 dives I saw: 2 eagle rays (one close, one distant). 2 Turtles (1 close, 1 distant). A handful of reef sharks. And a good amount of smaller stuff. 80º water temp/80' vis every day. If not for Caicos Adventures and the truly nice divers I met on the boat, I would never go back. If I do, I'll be sure to go with a bunch of friends so we can rent out a suite at one of the over-priced resorts, where you can actually interact with people.

So you went to a small hotel alone, didn't rent a car and were lonely. What a surprise! You should have checked out one of the resorts that caters to singles.

Amen Tim. One of my favorite dive destinations.

It wasn't about meeting other singles; it was about being on an island with virtually no culture. I never once said I was lonely, and in fact, I wasn't. There's a difference between bored and lonely. I posted my report not to complain, but rather to offer a fair, balanced opinion that might help people make decisions with more info than I had. I've gone on many dive vacations alone and have always had a great time, despite the size of the hotel. If you prefer all the reports to be positive, then what's the point?

Going to a small island like Provo, it is hard to "Wing It" because you will end up feeling like going to any small town in America and not knowing the "places" or the "people". It would feel very unmemorable, especially when only staying there for less than a week or so. If Provo ends up being a place worth considering again for you, I would recommend posting on this site to find out the worth while places and the better times to go. Timing during the year is important for a "fun" time on smaller islands. Regatta times and other "cultural" events happen during specific times. Provo is just not big enough to have fun events happening all the time. This is why I like it. You can go to get away and feel like you are on your own little island or you can go (during the right times) and feel like you are in carribean party central. Take care and good diving.

Thanks for the great feedback. I couldn't agree more, and in fact Provo is a place I would consider again (thanks to Caicos Adventures), with a little more planning. Though I still think that "winging it" has its own rewards when successful. Otherwise, good advice from unbiased sites usually do the trick. Cheers.

Provo is the kind of place you dive in the morning and take lots of books for the rest of the time! Its a sleepy place which is nice if that is what you are seeking.

Back
Top Bottom