Dive report: Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBP Studios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well we were actually not going to dive because we only had 1 day and that is like a teaser but we decided to go ahead and do it afterall.

We went with a 3 tank dive through Phuket Dash Scuba. The total was $250 for 2 people, that included all of our gear rental and the 3 tank dives. Not a bad deal IMO.

Come to find out these guys are just brokers, just like about 90% of the Dive ops in Phuket. No biggie. We use their gear and the boat and trip were brokered to Dive Asia. We decide to go to Phuket-Scubas main location the day before the dive to double check their gear make sure all was ok. Just an FYI, if you use this company to book you will be using their gear and its all fairly dated. The mask was the worst part for me as it had black stuff literally growing in it. But what can ya do? I guess I should have brought my own gear. The inflator hose gopt a pretty nasty leak toward the end of my first Dive, they swapped it after that dive. Good thing it was not something more serious.

Dive morning Dive Asia picks us up at the hotel. Drives us about 40 mins to their main location and we all load up from there to head out. Our dive guide was from Phuket-Scuba, his name was Kopp, other than the fact he pretty much spoke no english at all, he was a pretty damn good DM.

The Dives.

The good:

Life, tons of little stuff to see here! It was really awesome to see so much tiny life that we had never seen before. The water, no wetsuit needed, water was great! The boat, Dive Asias boat is huge, we had about 45 divers at least on board. Mostly German.

The bad:

The Vis. First dive maybe 30ft, the second dive 25 or so, the last dive 15ft max. Very dissapointing for Phi Phi and what we had read but still, the life down there was great.

The SPEED. Or lack therof. There was absolutely ZERO reason for a 3 dive day to start at 8am and not return to port until 8pm. The reason? SLOW BOAT, the people on board told me it was because they wanted to save gas. This boat could easily do 15-20 knots, it never got much above 3-5. It was the slowest and most boring boat ride ever. Completely had every diver on the boat frustrated, especially at the end of the day when it was 4, we were all done and only had 25 miles to go and it took us almost 4hrs! Unacceptable.

For this reason alone I would never go with Dive Asia again, IMO they should plan for the gas cost and not waste everyones day.

All in all any dive experience is a good one for us. Last dive was in Cozumel and our next one will be Grand CAyman next month. Looking forward to it.

The amount of Divers: Big boat but still way too many divers.

Overall Rating: 7/10 (easily a 8.5 if viz was better 9 if Dive Asias boat did not suck and they did not cram so many divers on board.)

Just an FYI, if you use this company to book you will be using their gear and its all fairly dated. The mask was the worst part for me as it had black stuff literally growing in it.
Thanks for the report.

All our rental equipment is either brand new or max. 1,5 years old. Do agree though, we need some new masks, and will have them this week.

This boat could easily do 25 knots, it never got much above 5.
On the way back diner is served, normally spaghetti, that is why they go back slowly. On the way out you need your surface interval. There is no way BTW this boat, or any of the big boats in the area, can do 25 knots, they are all about 10 knots.

The whole Spagetti thing took about 20 mins tops.

I think if they would come BACK at the same speed it went out it would be acceptable.

As for 25 knots, ok that might be a bit much but still this boat was seriously crawling. Everyone on board was joking that they could swim as fast as the boat was going. LOL

Thanks for the report.

Do agree though, we need some new masks, and will have them this week.

That is convenient. When we were in the shop we were told all masks have that and that we could buy a new one if interested. No offer of a new mask.

Oh well.

Yup. You gotta go REAL slow for spaghetti. Don't want to spill the sauce, and hard to get those darned slimy noodles in your mouth. I would agree that 25 knots would be really moving out, especially for a boat that carries that many people. That works out to 28.76 MPH by my calculations. I am not saying either way if it is good or bad, but... I don't think there was but one time where our dive boat could pull off those kinda speeds, and they refused when I asked the to pull out the stops. (25 foot panga, with twin 150's on the transom. I really wanted to see it get up and fly)
Unless you were in calm seas, that would be a pretty good shaking up, and hard to hold your beer with out spilling it. That is what I call alcohol abuse.

So, so i take a memo off this report, thank you SPB Studios.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom