Dive Report: Newburyport 7/13/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
No waiting at the ramp, flat seas and warm air temps started the day off right. Easy motor out to the area and found the only other boat within 10 miles of us on my spot. We moved to another spot about a mile away and anchored up. Got to the bottom to find 10'-15 vis and water temp of 52. Downright balmy after my last few dives. The usual holes that normally hold lobsters were empty and my buddy's cheap Ebay "Made in China waterproof" light flooded after about 5 minutes so we had to work a little harder than normal but I ended up with four and my buddy got one.
The other boat had left by the time we surfaced after 65 minutes of BT (Thank you HP 120's) so we moved closer to the prime spot,
Descended into same conditions and same issue of vacant holes. My buddy got five more and I got one by the time his Al 80 had got to 700 psi so we ascended together. After making sure he got back into the boat safely, i surface swam about 50 yards away from where we had been hunting and descended in hopes of finding un-picked spots. This turned out to be fruitful since I got nine more and some were about three pounds. Saw a Lobzilla and many bugs too big to keep. It is always a scare/thrill to come around a rock and be face to face with a lobster so big that it isn't even scared of you. We shuffled bugs around in the coolers so that they all fit and had ice packs and headed home.
After a hour long drive home on 495 at 65 mph (this is important later), I dropped my buddy off and headed home. i got about 1/2 mile down the road and noticed my driver's side trailer tire was wobbling. Pulled over and discovered that the bearing had disintegrated. Slow, careful drive back to his house and am currently on day 2 of trying to get right parts to fix it.
Great day to be on and under the water. Not such a great day to tow a trailer.

Attachments

• DSCF0494.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 68
  • bugs.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 67
  • bugs1.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 44
Last edited:
That's scary. Trailers are consumable items.

What was the depth?

Between 27-45'.

You could have made it to 290, what could possibly go wrong :D

Glad you had some luck lobstering, and didn't have any major problem on the highway.

mybugs.jpgbugss.jpgtire.jpg

SB is really acting up for me. Finally got some pictures from the trip uploaded but it attached a picture from a trip a month ago too. Very odd.

Attachments

• bugs.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 36
  • DSCF0479.jpg
    DSCF0479.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0494.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 44

Back
Top Bottom