Dive report Fort Adam's RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Went with @AfterDark to Fort Adam's yesterday.

We hit about 15 feet, vis was about 10 feet water temp around 60 degrees.

Saw scones, lots of craps some cool coral.

This site seems like it would be great for local beginning divers.

I learned that lightly used a 11 year wetsuit just doesn't work like it used to and froze but still a good dive.

Hey @formernuke, when you catch it right Ft Adams can be a fun “peaking under rocks” dive. If you catch it as the tide is coming in or going out it becomes a drift dive and a hard fight back. First time I did it was with @AfterDark. We had a couple of setbacks that got us starting late and, while the dive was good, we had to work to get back in. Fortunately, his nav skills are great and we came up right at the beach.
Glad you had a good time!

Erik

Erik you and I dove the East Passage. @formernuke and I were at the small beach beyond the restrooms building at the top of the hill. During the summer there are a million boats moored in the cove. Thought it might turn up something with the metal detector. My trim was so out of whack I couldn't stop without going upside down. I should have put the 2lb tank weights on the bottom of the tank, left 'em home.
It is a nice little site easy-peasy in and out with nearby parking this time of year.

Erik you and dove the East Passage. @formernuke . My trim was so out of whack I couldn't stop without going upside down. I should have put the 2lb tank weights on the bottom of the tank, left 'em home.
What king of tank? I am looking at steel, like an HP80, as i heard it is better buoyancy for my shallow diving.

I have 120's, if I was getting now I would do 100's as they seem to have the best trim buoyancy characteristics for me.

What king of tank? I am looking at steel, like an HP80, as i heard it is better buoyancy for my shallow diving.
I was using one of my old school steel 72s. With a wet suit I don't need any counter weight but the dry suit is different. The 72 was used until the Al80 came along. I like them because they are a little negative at the start and mostly neutral with a few 100 psi left. They can be bought cheap and most good LDS will happily service them. Usually I trade the Jvavle for a Kvalve. The working pressure is 2250psi some LDS will fill them to 2400psi, at 2250psi they are about 68-69Cuft.
Just right for an hour dive in 10-15FSW or doubled up a 1.5+hr dive in 25FSW. Your actual time may vary. The 80steel is a short tank might be just the thing for you.

Dive 2087 11-6-2019 Fort Adams Beach Cove

@formernuke and A met me at the beach at 1PM as planned. A sunny, cool, day with gusty SW winds greeted to us. We got in the water around 2PM to an incoming tide and about 10' vis. The surface was flat calm with little boat traffic. We headed East then SE across the cove to the rock walls the vis remained good and I spotted a few pretty small pink anemones and some breadcrumb sponges. There were a few small fish and lots of green crabs. Max depth was 14FSW water temp was 59F at max depth. Total dive time 45 min 35min BT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom