Dive Report: Aug. 19, Newport, RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
got three dives in on Wednesday. I knew that with no significant rain the last few days and the wind having come predominantly from The North also, odds were really good that the diving would be excellent. I planned to take advantage of the almost table flat water conditions to have some seriously nice dives. First dive was at Green Bridge at just about peak high. Because the water conditions were so good I decided to leave the cove and swim East so that i could get to areas that I have not had as much opportunity to explore. I stayed in the surface until I passed the first mansion. I then descended and worked SE for most of the dive. When came across rocks, I followed the contour near the sand. When I hit my turnaround, I headed a course due North and West. visibility was 30+ and the low wave energy mad for a pleasant first dive. Saw a tropical Damsel fish, also.

[video=youtube;gBhsxqyH2rs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBhsxqyH2rs[/video]

The second dive at Green Bridge, but instead of going to the island, I swam West of the island. Generally pretty brown with not much of interest until I turned and headed south and over the sand. I first ran into some scup and Black Bass that were caught in a fish trap. Shortly later I saw a lone scup and followed him at a distance until he lost interest in me as a threat and I was able to stay within a couple of feet of him as he foraged.

The last dive was at near dead low at Kings Beach. For this dive I headed to the East towards Price's Neck. I snorkeled part of the way because it was so shallow. As I approached Price's Neck, I moved into deeper water of about 25 fsw and was impressed by the quality of the dive. Large boulders gave a lot of cover for Tataug and with the good visibility, it was quite impressive. I had to turn back before I made it all the way to the Cement block that was the gunnery school, but I did pick up a couple of 50 cal casings on the way back. A really nice spot, but getting through the eel grass would be much easier with more water.

Great video. Looks like awesome vis. Like the tropical. I hope to return to dive RI soon. Planning on diving the tropical fish rescue in Sept with a niece.

I used to go seining on the South shore of Long Island in early September when I was in HS. It was a lot of fun. Lou, the guy who's knife you found does it two or three times a week. I ran in to him on King's beach the day I shot this video. Check out the Biomes place he collects for. They have an amazing collection.

Nice dive report and video. Appreciate the information. If I'm in the area I'll have to check this site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom