Dive Report 9-4-11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petrieps

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Met up with a good friend from work at 7:00 at the boat ramp behind the Gloucester HS.
We had been trying to get out since before Irene. I had brought him in a bag of scallops for him to try. He is a boat owner and an avid fisherman (my kind of guy). Within a couple of days he called me " I'll take you where ever you want, we gotta get more of those" I love when a plan comes together:wink: Any way we headed out to one of my favorite spots, a place I've always done well. The first 10 feet vis was good. At 72 feet the vis was less than 1 foot. Trying to make the best of it I put my face down about 6 inches from the bottom and started my search. After 5 minutes, realizing the effort was pretty much futile I returned to the surface. We moved the boat and tried again. Spot 2 was pretty much the same 50 feet deep and about the same vis. Bottom time 10 minutes. Discouraged now, we moved yet again, this time into 35 feet of water and miles away. Visibility was slightly better but the bottom was covered with detached seaweed of all kinds, suspended 1 foot off the bottom. Any thing laying on the bottom was completely obscured. Another 10 minute bottom time.:(
Ron had afternoon appointments so we headed back. Sunday was The Gloucester Schooner Parade, We entered the harbor, the timing was perfect to see these magnificent ships under sail. A truly spactacular sight, what luck to be out there on that day.
We loaded the boat on the trailer and Ron took off. I still had not had my scuba fix. Knowing I would not be able to dive again during the day for atleast 2 weeks I decided to take a drive to Bass Rocks and have a look see. The waves were moderate, very doable. There were huge piles of seaweed at the shore line and lots in the surf zone. When I came out I must have looked like the creature from the black lagoon. I had atleast 10 pounds of the stuff covering me. I gave the fishermen on the rocks a good laugh.
The dive was great. Visibility was 7 to 10 feet, lots of bugs (a huge surprise to me). It was surgey,like being in a washing machine until I made my way to deeper water. On my way back in I came across a huge lobster, It had bands on it's claws. I spent the time to wrestle it out from under a rock. It was an oversized female with eggs. The bands were covered with algea, so it must have been like that for a while. I freed her, I bet that lobster had a good hunt last night. I would love to know how she came to have bands on her. I should have V nothed her too.
All in all a great day, 85 minute dive, lowest temperature was 55.

Happy Labor Day

Last edited:
Hey Petrieps.....Thats alot of dressing..boarding boat....redressing..etc..etc. That alone would exhaust this old fossel. As for the Big lobby, sometimes guys catch lobster in their traps with bands on them. Not real clear why Comm. Guys do it.

I hear ya Porgy, It's a good thing I ate my wheaties yesterday. Boarding the boat was the difficult part. Just a cheesey ladder with one rung and barely a hand hold. Not easy with a 120 and a 19 on my back. I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself.

Terrific story. Bummer that the viz. was crappy - but I bet once everything dies down weather-wise we see new exposure on wrecks? Glad that you were able to catch the Schooner Parade and that you gave the she lobster a better quality of life.

As per the rubber bands...I wonder if some folks free lobsters without first removing the bands thinking that rubber will decay over time? That's the only hypothesis I have because I can't see a lobsterman putting in a lobster like that underwater unless they have a submerged pen of sorts???

Cheers,

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom