Dive Report 10-25-11 Marblehead Rock and Castle Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petrieps

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Conditions were worse than I had hoped for, but not enough to deter me from my plan. I got to Castle Rock mid morning to find a moderate size swell coming in, hitting the rocks and spraying 20 feet in the air. There were a lot of people site seeing this day, and why not it was a gorgous day after all. This was my first time at Castle Rock, I suited up and entered to the left of the rock, an ordeal but without incident. From there I took a heading for Marblehead Rock. The surface swim took about 50 minutes at a reasonably slow pace so as to not over exert myself before actually decending. When reaching the backside of the rock I dropped down, close to the rock. It was very surgy, but it was a nice rocky bottom, changing to a gravel bottom the further away from the rock I got. Saw a few bugs, 1 or 2 might have been worth gauging, but I was wearing dry gloves and did not want to take the chance of putting a hole in one. After 30 minutes I started swimming back to shore under water. The trip back only took 30 minutes or so. Time in the water was almost 2 hours, bottom time of 67 minutes. 46 feet max depth, temp 45, vis was a lousy 3-5 feet.

After lunch (turkey sandwiches) I wasn’t feeling nearly as ambitious and stayed right around Castle Rock. It was ok bottom close to the rock, turning to sand the further out I got. Bottom time 35 minutes, 25 foot depth, 45 degrees and vis still a dismal 3-5 feet.

Last edited:
I was motivated Porgy. Believe me it didn't come without a price, I was snoozing by 8:30 last night and my legs are like jelly today.

50 min swim!!! Ugh

Back
Top Bottom