Dive Profiles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently I went back over the downloaded graphs of my dive profiles from my dive computer, and noticed that some of my profiles are not the ideal "deepest first". I've been limiting my depths to less than 40-50 feet, mostly shlepping around reefs off the beach. Typically we'll drop down into shallow water, explore the reef, getting deeper for 10 or 15 minutes, then head around the other side, getting shallower for another 10 or 15, then turn around and head back deep to explore some more. Ends up looking like the dreaded sawtooth.

At those shallow depths does a ratty profile really matter, or should I try to adhere to deepest first?

Well Jim,

As a general rule you want to avoid sloppy profiles. If you must make a sloppy profile then I would suggest that it's all the more important that your ascents are slow and controlled..... Also do a nice long safety stop at the end to compensate. Since you're working your way shallower then work your way to 5 metres and swim around for the last 10 min at that depth.

R..

Hello Jim:

Commercial divers (sponges, clams, etc) perform profiles such as this all of the time. They do not appear to have any problems and I would guess that you would not either. There is probably some self selection in the commercial world, but they are at it all day, every day.

Dr Deco :doctor:

I always believe in doing the deepest part first, but reverse profiles are not shunned as they once were. Most of the original concerns were "theoritical" concerns, but there does not appear to be any reason to overly worry about reverse profiles or sawtooths ... as long as you are not making rapid large ascents. As long as you do good safety stops (which the deepst part first helps with), then you should be fine. Also the profile you are describing is relatively mild.

Back
Top Bottom