dive portal dvd magazine issue 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig Baumann

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just received a copy of John Chatterton, Richie Kohler and Evan Kovaks' dvd, dive portal dvd magazine issue 2. I'm in the process of reviewing it, but I'm sure it's going to be another fun and fact-filled viewing of exciting under water locations and interviews.

I had a chance to discuss briefly, dp issue 1, with John and Richie by email, and more extensively I asked Evan Kovaks questions about it. Evan is John and Richie's chief cinematographer for dive portal dvd productions. All three of these men were more than happy to hear constructive comments about their work with dp, another way they seem to pull their viewers in by making them feel valued as customers and critics. You can contact dive portal and make suggestions to the dive portal team, by visiting their web site at
www.diveportaldvd.com

If you have any ideas for them in terms of dive sites, dive portal seems happy to hear about it. If you know subjects they can use involving diving or have ideas about interviews of people associated with the underwater community who are worthy of public attention, don't hesitate to present your ideas through the web site listed above.

enjoy - dg

I got both on the same day and on the following Sunday sat and watched both on them, So far I'm really impressed with them, not dubbed down, relavant and very interesting...I loved the one about Richie and him taking underwater photos! Quite funny and something I could relate to it.

I hope they keep their down to earth approach and appeal, I can see after Shadow Divers hits the screens, we could see two very different John and Richies, ones we can't relate too, who have press officers, media relations teams and people manning their email for them.

And John why on Earth did he move to Maine!? Cold, Dark waters!? When they went Scallop fishing, it didn't look enjoyable at all (except the eating part!) it looked bloody freezing!

But I can't wait for the 3rd installment!

I finished watching dp issue II. It was better than issue #1. I communicated with Evan Kovaks (dp camera man) about issue #1, and he said their production team had a pretty firm deadline for issue #1, so they couldn't quite take the time on it they wanted. I noticed the music was better on issue 2. This production team has all the music composed for it exclusively (I don't recall the composer's name.)

I think the editing was better on issue #2. I really enjoyed the interview with Jill Heinreth - (good friends with Wes Skiles) but something happened to the audio on her voice - very low volume. Did anyone notice that, or is it only my cd copy? I noticed Evan Kovaks on a couple of cuts.

The best way to view these CDs in my opinion, is on a laptop on your belly, while you're in a motel room laying on you back, after working long hours out of town somewhere. You're going to have to take my word on that! In this way you can skip backward and easily replay segments. Interestingly, I think I only saw Carrie Kohler, Richie's wife in a couple of spots on issue II (saw her much more in issue I.) I never saw John's wife Carla, in any of the video shoots. (John's wife BTW, can be seen on the dock in issue I, when the Evan Kovaks is shooting back toward it as the boat is leaving the dock, in the Maine Scallop Diving segment. She can also be seen briefly in the shoot in John's home, when they are cooking dinner for everyone after they’ve brought the scallops back to his house, just before everyone is sitting down for dinner.)

Best to you all... dg

We enjoyed them both however the second one is better. My only complaint is that some segments seem waaaaay too long and others seem waaaaay too short.... Palau, Curacao and Catalina should have been twice as long in my opinion! They barely even touched the diving highpoints of those areas. The interviews were all good but seemed to ramble and repeat info at times.
So my biggest suggestion is maybe make the destination segments longer and just have fewer of them per video. The visit to the Navy testing site, Keys underwater lab and Mall of Americas were somewhat interesting but could have been cut down to 4-6 minutes each. Same goes for the interviews.
I really enjoy the tone of the videos - very casual and fun without talking down to us. Keep it that way!
Overall, they are a great addition to our video library!

robint

robint: make sure you forward your comments to www.diveportaldvd.com It is my understanding that this production is owned principally by John and Richie. When you forward comments and suggestions to them, they read each and every one of them. They are usually gracious enough to respond and appreciate any viewers constructive input. They would be more than happy to read your feedback, and they are always open to new ideas.

While you're on their web site, you can subscribe to be notified about changes to their distribution schedules - you will also be notified about special events and when new issues become available.

Best of luck -

Craig Baumann:
robint: make sure you forward your comments to www.diveportaldvd.com It is my understanding that this production is owned principally by John and Richie. When you forward comments and suggestions to them, they read each and every one of them. They are usually gracious enough to respond and appreciate any viewers constructive input. They would be more than happy to read your feedback, and they are always open to new ideas.

While you're on their web site, you can subscribe to be notified about changes to their distribution schedules - you will also be notified about special events and when new issues become available.

Best of luck -

I sent in a suggestion for a segment, and received a nice email from John, then replied to him and asked a question about his fin choices (every time I watch an episode of DSD he had a different set of fins...) and he gave me the recent run down.

Nice guy to say the least!

Be sure you tell John, Richie or Evan Kovacs, hello for me when you contact them. Over a period of one year they became on-line friends. I can't tell you in that time how much that meant to me. Last year I was injured and could hardly dive. Research, suggestions and ideas were all I had to contribute to the diving industry. John and Richie and Evan, were very kind to me in that way, and I will always appreciate how they treated me - not as a fan, but as an equal.

All the best....

I have seen both DVD's the second they were released, and I agree #2 has much better production qualities (particularly sound). It is nice to see a relaxed and laid-back John & Richie.

Regarding the posts about what they may be like after Shadow Divers is released and the comments about their wives not being in the videos:

1) I live in North Carolina & have had the opportunity to meet John & Richie, both at Seas-Expo last fall and the Michael J. Norwood Memorial dives (for DAN research). You would have to push these guys pretty far to take away their "dive-life" existence. Even when everyone is pushing for a "photo-op" the humor still stands. The only problem might be if the pushing gets to hard. The TDI press release said the police had to called for "crowd control" last weekend at Our World Underwater in Chicago.

2) My wife and I had a chance to meet Carrie & Carla also last fall. What gracious people. During Seas, Carrie spent an hour with my wife (a DM) to talk about her experience crossing over from recreational diver to Tec Diver. All my wife could say is how enjoyable the time was and that experience should be a book by Carrie. Both Carrie and Carla spent as much time with anyone who wanted to talk, even with everyone wanting their copies of Shadow Divers signed, DP.com duties and the MJM weekend dive. I hope we see more of both these women in the future.

I digressed, I'm sorry. These people are for real, which is why I get the first mailing of each new DVD. I can't wait for the next one.

Also - there are multiple opportunities to travel & dive with these guys in the next year. Some for the DVD, some for fun and some for a great cause. Besides the portal and to see some of the dates, check out:

http://www.johnchatterton.com/

Safe diving - Mike

Back
Top Bottom