Dive Park at Lake Lanier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, we would remove entanglement hazards, tanks, engines and pressure wash/steam clean to remove hazardous material.

Mike

I will be meeting with the Corps on Friday, August 7 at 10am. Any feedback on the proposal would be helpful! Anyone who wants to tag along, let me know!

Mike

Hi All!

Eddie and I met with te COE today about the dive park idea. I believe they will get behind us if we can show them a good unified front of divers and dive groups that will help and want this to happen.

It was suggested that if we could get support from the county dive teams from Hall, Gwinnett and Forsyth that it would add a lot of weight to the proposal. In addition if we agree to allow Kayakers and Canoers to access the same "No Boats" area that would also help as we could get assistance from places such as the Dam Store in our efforts.

An other additional tie in would be the disabled diver programs such as SUDS.

We also discussed possible locations other than West Bank Park. It was felt that while that might be a good location, during peak useage times that park may shut down and not allow more folks inside. If anyone has some really good ideas fo alternative locations please chime in! Altenatives discussed were Lake Lanier Park (making a No Boats area outside of the swim area that rachs across to the Gwinett park on the the other side of the cove) or maybe 2-Mile Creek.

If we can set up a confederation of interested parties that then can partnerwith the Corps (for example, on maintaining the items placed underwater) this would also go long way towards geting things moving.

The Corps agreed to check wth other COE projects to see if any of them have dive parks/facilities. We agreed to seek out possible partners for a Lanier Diver Association that would act as the organizing entitiy for the park support.

Mike

Mike,
would it help to create a letter template for people to fill out and show there support. that way, along with everything else, you could go in with a stack of letters from divers from all over showing there support.

Brian

Good idea Brian, I'll get something knocked out next week.

I've only dove WBP once, but I can vouch that Two Mile Creek would probably be an area that would not have near as much boat traffic and would have some protection of the Scuba Park with coves all over the left or north side of the area. This would make building and maintaining the Scuba Park easier as there are multiple entrances to any number of coves from shore or the water. I vote for Two Mile Creek.

I have posted on their forum, nary a response...

I will be presenting about the dive park at the Atlanta Aquanauts meeting tonight at 7pm at the Hudson Grill:

4400 Ashford-Dunwoody Rd
Atlanta, GA 30346

Mike

Back
Top Bottom