dive ops in Nassau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am curious as to know besides stuart cove what dive ops are available in Nassau. Im looking for an operation thats flexable with the cruise schedule that I am on.

That first question has been posed an awful lot on here. Have a search through the Bahamas forum. It's fairly compehensively answered in the imediately previous thread.

Both of the main ops here seem to liase quite well with the cruise ships. Direct contact would confirm this (as in "dont take my word for it!").

Good luck!

Which cruise are you going on? If you are on Disney, SC wont be able to work with you on the dives unless you book thru Disney, which is ridiculously priced and theres only 1 option. Went several rounds including the people on the ship trying to get to the bottom of the issues with Disney.
Short version, even if you call SC and say you are there, the first question they ask is what ship. The second they hear Disney they say sorry, have to go thru Disney as thats the way the contract is structured.

No I am actually going on Carnivals cruise lines. I have had mostly good experience with their tours and have found most to be favorably priced as compared to the if I were on the islands anyway price.

I have heard alot of people grumble about Disney though and their theme parks are not any better. We went in June of this year and got hungry so we went to the food stands. They started cracking off that we had to have a reservation to eat anywhere we went. What kind of garbage is that????

So no I am not a Disney Fan. Anyway thanks for the feed back :)

Which cruise are you going on? If you are on Disney, SC wont be able to work with you on the dives unless you book thru Disney, which is ridiculously priced and theres only 1 option. Went several rounds including the people on the ship trying to get to the bottom of the issues with Disney.
Short version, even if you call SC and say you are there, the first question they ask is what ship. The second they hear Disney they say sorry, have to go thru Disney as thats the way the contract is structured.

I've heard the same thing with Royal Caribbean..... they have a contract with Stuart Coves.

Simple solution though. (if you take your gear in a roller bag).

Exit the cruise boat dock and hang a right. The British Royal Hilton is about 200 yards down the street. (dive roller bags advised). Tell Stuart Coves to pick you up there. (it's on their normal route).

when you're done, just get off at the cruise boat pier... the driver could care less

Well now thats some of the biggest B.S. I have heard. If I am cruising on a ship or a boat how can they deny people savings based on contracts? Wow what a greedy world.

But Mike you have a good point and very good thinking :) Thanks for the advice :)

yeah... I agree it's pretty crappy.

here's the excert from Stuart Cove's website

from http://www.stuartcove.com/DiveBahamasMgmt.aspx?id=2&pageId=51

The exception to the above timetable is if you are traveling on Holland America, a Disney Cruise Lines, or a Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines ship. Stuart Cove's Aqua Adventures is contractually bound with HAL to provide diving, snorkeling and SUB experiences; with Disney for 2-tank dives: and with Royal Caribbean for 2-tank dives and SUB experiences to some of their ships when they visit Nassau. If your ship is one that we are contracted to provide services for, the cruise line has arranged for special charter times to make the excursion work. In this situation, you will have to book your excursion directly with the cruise line or once on board the ship. This will ensure the proper pick-ups and services are provided to you.​

Here's an overhead with the Hilton on the left (name circled) so that you can see how close it is. you can walk down either set of streets to get to it.

Using a hotel is also easier to catch a cab if there are none at the cruise boat pier. (that works about anywhere though in a city that has a lot of cabs).

Stuart Coves scheduled pickups at the Hilton are 7:45am and 11:45am
http://www.stuartcove.com/DiveBahamasMgmt.aspx?id=2&pageId=56

Nassau-Hilton-to-pier.jpg

One more thing about this Hilton in the pic, for $20pp/day, you can get full use of their resort (pool, beach, beach chairs, towels, etc.) so if you just want to get off the cruise boat and plop down on the closes beach and have full service bar, restrooms, etc.... it's pretty easy.

Here's a pic of their beach

bc-rear.gif

If you want a bigger beach with more activities for a "day beach", take a cab to the Wyndham. Nicer beach, bigger pool, etc and it's $20pp/day. You also have full access to their sister resort the Sheraton next door which has an even fancier pool. (You can get a day rate at the Sheraton, but it is $100 and includes a room for changing/shower/etc. so better to go in through the Wyndham, pay the cheaper rate and then walk over to the Sheraton). Taxi from town to the Wyndham is about $12 to $15 each way.

Sheraton Beach/pool
pool1.jpg
pool.jpg

Wyndham Beach/Pool
WNR-aireal2.jpg
WNR-pool2.jpg

I've heard the same thing with Royal Caribbean..... they have a contract with Stuart Coves.

Simple solution though. (if you take your gear in a roller bag).

Exit the cruise boat dock and hang a right. The British Royal Hilton is about 200 yards down the street. (dive roller bags advised). Tell Stuart Coves to pick you up there. (it's on their normal route).

when you're done, just get off at the cruise boat pier... the driver could care less

I have a roller bag (got a really good deal on it that I couldnt pass up.)and seriously thought about doing something like that. There was a few other things this time around that prevented me from diving.(With a tank anyway:eyebrow:) Have a beautifull conch shell to prove it.

Well now thats some of the biggest B.S. I have heard. If I am cruising on a ship or a boat how can they deny people savings based on contracts? Wow what a greedy world.

But Mike you have a good point and very good thinking :) Thanks for the advice :)

I went round and round with Disney and even talked to a few supervisors over Disneys pricing. They have 1 price and 1 price only, and its 145. With or without your own gear. so when I asked and sent an email to the reservations people, got an email back that said the reason the price was so high was due to tank rental on the island, and I couldnt bring my tanks with me. Which I knew. No kidding. So I called back and talked to the supervisor whom I had been dealing with and explained to him about the email, and that they might want to find someone who knows what they are talking about to respond to emails like that. I was fairly understanding in that I used to work for Disney and know for a fact they have a huge turnover in reservations, however the next person may not be so understanding.

After thinking about it for a little while it hit me. The people who set the excursions up, have no clue with regards to certain things.Like the scuba excursions.The guys at the excursion desk on the ship were shocked when I told them for that price I could get 2-3 2 tanks dives anywhere on the east coast of Florida.

Back
Top Bottom