Dive operators you would recommend in Scapa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have the opportunity to be in the Orkneys next summer and would like at least a couple dives in the Scapa Flow. I am looking for a dive operator:
1) I'll need a guide/insta-buddy (my wife doesn't dive)
2) Shore based operation (unfortunately I won't have time for a live-aboard)
3) Dive time(s) requiring decompression (I don't want to travel all that way for 10 minutes of bottom time)
4) I'll need to rent most of the gear (I'm thinking I'll bring my own regulators + maybe my drysuit)

Given these broad parameters, and if you were going, who would you dive with?

Thanks!!

Bump. Still looking for recommendations. Scapa Scuba says because they are PADI, no decompression diving. . .

Somebody out there must have been to Scapa. . . anybody ??

Been to Scapa but on a live aboard and I think most operators in the area work like that.

The dives were usually one in the morning during slack, on the deeper wrecks (>30 to >40m). Decompression time will depend on your planning... Then some shallower diving in the afternoon on block ships.

Very weird about Scapa Scuba... at least on their website they offer TDI courses.

The best thing for you would probably be posting this in a British forum where you'll have hundreds of people who have dived there. Not sure if it would be considered advertising... so send me a PM if you want the link.

If you're not qualified for decompression diving then Scapa Scuba can't take you on such dives, they'd be breaching PADI standards (I assume you're PADI certified).

However, it is perfectly possible to do dives within the NDL on the shallower German cruisers, the block ships and the barrier wrecks. The F2 and barge are also dives you can do without needing stops.

There isn't a lot of choice for individual divers in Scapa because boats are usually booked by groups of 12 months in advance. You might be able to hire some kit from Scapa Scuba or the Dive Cellar and talk a group/skipper into letting you on if they've got a space free but don't forget there's no divemaster to show you around the dive.

We are just back from Scapa.
I've posted this video :
[video=vimeo;66469852]http://vimeo.com/66469852[/video]

On this thread

Maybe you allready have found your dive op or maybe you changed your mind.

I only know one dive op in Stromness that is the diving cellar.
They provide acommodation.
They rent gears.
We choosed our own dive time restriction unless we were not diving on the block ships in the pass where the current is a big issue.

The big wrecks are on 30-40 m. We dived with Nx 32.
The bottom time was usually 30 to 40 mn , I mean dive time on the wreck untill the ascent. I had usually no deco required( OSTC MK2 on Bullman), my buddy usually had 4 to 6 mn ( OSTC used with gradiant factor)
He had few deco trouble in the past, so he is more carefull now.

The boat is a very heavy boat, quite slow ( about 10 knts) but very stable in rough conditions. There is a lift aboard wich is very confortable. Most of the diving boat there have a lift.
I'm sure this is a good adress, but I'm not sure that it is the best one having not tried any other dive op.

Erwan, great video!! We are off there in late July (well, leaving Sydney) and diving for a week starting 3 August. We are using Radiant Queen. Just saw the link and that the temp was 6C. Hope it warms up before we go. Viz looked like it varied a bit.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom