Dive Operator Requirement to Demo Mask Clearing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good thing they're preparing to go diving in the ocean...they'll be much more relaxed there.

I don't really mind doing it, and it helps assure that the reefs stay in good shape. But I've been to a couple of places where it needs to be done a little quicker so the guests can begin diving.

Maybe I am missing something here, but wouldn't a bouyancy control check prove to be much much more productive, alteast in protecting the fragile aquatic environment and future business?

I can see where mask clearing is important, but maybe not the most important. Of course that probably coming from the part of me that woudl be nervous about having to do that again. I had a lot of trouble with that during my open water, but I did get past it so I guess I can do it again, atleat the partial flood.

Yeah, I think a Bouyancy check would be ther better skill for real world, but that dreaded mask clearing, I think would be a better wash out skill.

At first I thought "How dare they question me" but now that I think about it for a few minutes I would certainly be in favor of this rather than get buddied up with a knucklehead that bounces off everything down there or cuts my dive short. In fact, maybe it should be a pop quiz. Be ready to do ....say....any 5 out of the 13 basic skills.

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
Good thing they're preparing to go diving in the ocean...they'll be much more relaxed there.

But consider this.....If the diver is shakey in the pool cause he/she is under pressure and worried that they do not do the skill properly, their week of diving is quashed, or they have to pay for a refresher course. This would possibly make them far more nervous or anxious than need be. I know when I am doing skills for an instructor I am more nervous than I would normally be. Jumping on a boat and into the ocean...(theoritically) no problem....

I am all for a check out dive, but I can see where the customer could be a little upset.

right? Any OW card-carrying diver should be able to clear a mask. ...remove the mask, put it back on, clear it. Repeat as necessary...

This maneuver should be especially easy to perform in a low-stress environment such as a pool ...mask clearing is scuba kindergarten stuff.

If someone can't perform this basic skill, they NEED a refresher course.

Just my two cents but I think that a mask clearing requirement is a great idea. Its a skill that needs to be practiced and is a true watershed for divers with skilss vs. those without.

As for my dos centavos, I'm always happy to oblige with a check-out dive, as we divers had to do at Anse Chastanet in St. Lucia. Had to demo fin tilt bouyancy control, mask clearing, gear set-up etc. Of course, this didn't prevent me from being buddied-up with a gentleman I ended up referring to as "Bumpy", since he was constantly within inches of me during our dives, frequently knocking into me. But at least it possibly prevented a situation like the one I experienced in Dominica when a member of the group, constantly ensconced in a blizzard of bubbles during the dive, "lost" his reg and had to be helped to hook up and return to the surface!
Here's to erring on the side of caution!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom