Dive operator recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We and another couple are starting to plan a week of sailing in Desolation Sound in late August, and we're thinking about a day of diving afterward. I just got off the phone with the yacht charter company and they suggested either Powell River or Campbell River. If we only have one (or at most two) day of diving after going cruising, what would be the best place to visit to dive in late August? Since we'll need tanks, weights and boat transportation, which dive operators should we be talking to?

Not sure about ops but Campbell River/Quadra Island is probably 2nd for diving in B.C. behind Port Hardy.
Is Port Hardy the same as God's Pocket Marine Provincial Park? Is Campbell River the same general location as Browning Passage? Trying to figure out the geography and what is where!

Port Hardy is the Northern tip of Vancouver Island and Campbell River/Quadra island is about Half way up. Both are on the East side of the Island. Browning pass and God's pocket are in the Port Hardy area. If you only had 1 dive left in your life browning passage dives would be waaaaaay up the list. Unbelievable life. There is 1 op that does day trips from Port Mcneil (just before Port hardy) to those sites. 7 tree island, rock of life, north wall,etc, are all in browning passage. Sun Fun Divers: Scuba Diving, Instruction, Sales, Charters is their web site. From Nanaimo (probably your arrival point on Vancouver Island) campbell river/Quadra is about a 2 hour drive and Port hardy another 2 hours. pacific pro divers does charters in the Campbell river area. You will love the diving either place you decide.

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 01:58 PM ----------

you could also try browning pass hideaway and they may be able to offer you a 2 night package. If you stay there it's all inclusive and up to 4 dives a day. Its 15 nautical miles from Port Hardy accessible only by boat or seaplane. Browning Pass and The Hideaway is John's website. Don't worry if he doesn't get back to you right away there is no internet service at the lodge.

You can find a good map with popular dive sites at the link below...

Best Dive Sites of British Columbia, Canada

Thanks - great map! Is there a higher resolution version where the detail is more legible?

Looking at the map and talking to a buddy who dove up there, we're starting to think the logistics of getting to Nanaimo might work best. But still researching...

well if you find yourself around campbell river area, and can get on with a dive charter, here's a list of some great dives i've just done whilst attending inshore commercial scuba training.

Today we dove the HMCS Columbia, off of Maude Island. It's a decommissioned 330' destroyer, with the superstructure at around 50', and the bottom at the stern is around 100' and the bow around 120'. Lots of life aboard, as well as lots of penetration points.

Copper bluffs is a wonderful wall/drift dive, and during slack tide, expect to see crabs, strawberry anemonies everywhere, rock fish, wolf eels, etc. depths are pretty much your choice as the wall is fairly sheer, with shelves at around the 70' mark. Be sure to get the slack tide, as the currents can reach 9 knots in the area. Even being 10 minutes past slack tide can make quite a white knuckle ride, but fun as hell! Requires live boating.

Steep island is another drift dive around the same area as Copper bluffs, lots of life due to the large tidal currents. Row 'n' be damned is another drift dive, watch out for upwell and downwells.

Lone tree island is a nice wall dive, with stepped outcroppings every 15' depths after about 40'....

Phil

We dove with Abyssal Dive charters on Quadra (East side of Discovery Passage, across from Campbell River) He took us to Row and Be Damned, and Whisky Point Middle of the road. Both incredible dives, I would recommend these, this is a high current area, with incredible life. If you go, be on time, and get in the water when Earl tells you to.

Hi geoff w I'd say you have received most of the info you'll need to find a day or two's worth of good diving.
Port Hardy - specifically Browning Pass- has a dozen+ "OMG- I can't believe how amazing this is!" dives. Sites like Browning Wall, 7-Tree Island, Rock of Life, Hunt Rock, SS Themis, Barry Islet, Deserters Pass, Tremble Rock and many more... I rank this area as an "order-of-magnitude" more amazing! That's exactly why I built my HideAway resort in Browning Pass, after running a live-aboard out of Port Hardy plus in all these other areas we're talking about for 20+ years...
If you have time for the 2 1/2 hour drive from Campbell River to Port Hardy, and can make it fit, I'd say- "Go for it!" Whether it's with us at "Browning Pass HideAway" or with "God's Pocket" (schedules + budgets will probably determine that...) you'll be glad you "went the extra mile!"

If you just can't squeeze out the time for Port Hardy....
... Campbell River has several "excellent" dives (highlight sites mentioned by others already), but these can involve some fairly strong currents which require a skilled dive operator. Earl@Abyssal, Bill@Pacific ProDive-Bill and Sean@UB Diving "deliver" in this area very well.. Pt McNeill area has 3 or 4 "excellent" local boat-dive sites, and Steve@SunFun Diver knows them well + can get you there.
Nanaimo has several really good local boat-dives including nice walls & natural reefs plus 3 diver-prepared "Artificial Reefs" - 2 decommissioned war-ships and a massive tug. Ed@Sundown Diving is a great contact for charters in Nanaimo. He (and I and others) helped prep and sink these ships..

Whatever you decide you can fit into your trip, you'll have a great time...it's all good! If you can't get to some locations this trip, there's always your next trip to BC... because you'll want there to be a "next time" after you see it once!
...and when you're sailing in Desolation Sound, make sure you check out Cassell Falls & the great swimming lake just above it in Teakerne Arm on Redonda Island... good cinnamon buns in Lund too! Cheers, John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom