Dive Op help - first timer on GC, arriving by cruise ship - ugh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saxman. What was the marina called. I don’t know of one on the west side. The Kittiwake is just off Seven Mile Beach. There are no marinas along there. There a few docks both north and south of the site. We do beach pick up all along that corridor and I really cannot picture a marina. Old age must really be sinking in!!!!

Saxman. What was the marina called. I don’t know of one on the west side. The Kittiwake is just off Seven Mile Beach. There are no marinas along there. There a few docks both north and south of the site. We do beach pick up all along that corridor and I really cannot picture a marina. Old age must really be sinking in!!!!
Well, marina may be a bit of an overstatement. It was a place with a few spots/docks

I dove with InDepth last year. I got the impression he stays away from catering to cruise divers.

Most ops leave at 8:00/8:30 so cruise ship people cannot arrive in time to make the boat. Those that cater to cruisers tend to leave later. Believe me when someone contacts an op to make a reservation they are not asked if they are arriving by sea or by air. However if they cannot make the boat they are out.

We boarded LTDs boat at the marina right by the Kittiwake a couple weeks ago.
They typically go out of West Bay dock at West Bay Beach,
which is about 8?? miles north of Georgetown. On the OP's tight schedule and desire to do 2 tanks?

Got to be an expensive flight to the next port...

I agree that it may be best to go with the op affiliated with the cruise. We have gone out with DNS, DiveTech, and Ambassador when we've been on GC. All of them leave too early to do the morning two tank and the PM two tank that leaves at 1/1:30 (if they do one - most do a one tanker to the wreck or stingray city as noted) might be cutting it close for getting back to get to the boat. It is a long surface transfer to the North even from the West Bay dock so unless you hire a private charter, that would be incredibly difficult to fit in the time you have. I really like Big Tunnels and Lighthouse Reef on the west end so even though it wouldn't be the North Wall diving you want, it would still be very nice diving.

You don’t have to go with an op that is affiliated with the cruise lines. I wouldn’t. There are options. Most of the ops right in GT often take day visitors. Just find one that works on your schedule (some ships arrive later and leave later anyway). I just would not spend time getting to and from an op when your time is limited especially since if you are diving west (pretty much the option for those on limited time) everyone has the same choice of sites anyway. The smaller ops can be more flexible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom