Dive on Saturday, mountain biking on Sunday.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going diving with a group from the LDS on Saturday. Two tanks, probably to 85' first and 75' second. That's what we usually do.

I'll be driving up to Whistler on Saturday night to go downhill biking on the mountain on Sunday. The village is at 2200' and the maximum altitude where I'll be riding from is 3350'. Since this is downhill biking, it's not so much cardio intensive as physically rough.

Should I be cautious about this?

I know of a person who developed a type 1 bend after driving to an altitude of app. 3400' following a dive close to the NDL of 90 fsw. Whether or not altitude was to blame is debatable, but certainly worth considering.
Mountain biking the following day is probably fine due to the elapsed time, but I would not ride Sat. night.
Just my opinion.

I went to the chamber after driving to 1,400 feet elevation and took two rides for DCI. I would recommend waiting a while before making the drive. JMHO Not a doctor, or an actor playing one, or even very bright accoring to the wife (married 30 years) so what could I know.

First off, IANAD.

Should you be cautious? Yes. Just pay close attention to how you feel. You'll probaby be fine but take it easy. I got narced once after a night dive (very slight) and the next day while wheelbarrowing 1000lbs of gravel from the bed of my truck it all came back again.

It turns out that rain is forecasted on the mountain on Sunday so the trip is cancelled.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm glad I asked the question. The responses were enlightening.

pasley:
I went to the chamber after driving to 1,400 feet elevation and took two rides for DCI. I would recommend waiting a while before making the drive. JMHO Not a doctor, or an actor playing one, or even very bright accoring to the wife (married 30 years) so what could I know.
Hmm... This has my attention. If you don't mind, please elaborate on your experience. What dive(s) did you do? What was your pressure group after the dives? How long after the dives did you begin the ascent to 1400 ft? What symptoms did you experience? How old were you when this happened?

I'm 43 years old, with a lean build and in okay shape.

I don't have my log or table handy, but typically the dives are to the NDL with an hour or so of surface interval between. During the first couple of hours post-dive, I would be at 500' or below. (Packing up and driving home from the dive.) After that, there would be a steady climb to 2000' or more over a period of 2 hours driving to the mountain. If the trip wasn't cancelled, while biking the next day, there would be 5-10 ascents/descents between 2200' and 3350'.

Me. Male 72 inches, 150-155 lbs age now age 50 (and 148lbs and holding), then age 48. Waist then 31” (now 29”). Not muscular, but scrappy. I do run 2 miles in 14:30 and do 70 pushups and sit-up in 2 minutes each. I dive SoCAl and climb up and down the cliff for my beach dives. So I would reckon I am physically fit. I have a history of falling out of airplanes in flight for 8 years for the benefit of the US Army Airborne. This activity is hard on the ankles. Hence I had the unusual pleasure of getting bent in the ankles.

The dives.
Lifetime Dive No 12 Wednesday night (2001)
Depth 110 feet, 19 minutes (SI from previous dive 78 hours)
Dove my computer (Oceanic Data Pro which I now know is liberal and I no longer own) and did not violate the ascent rate from 80 feet on. Rose rapidly form 110 to 80 FSW and then waited until computer indicated nitrogen load was reduced to yellow or green. Stopped at 60, 40 and 20 feet until cleared by computer to ascend.

Symptoms, noticed a vague, weak discomfort (not really a pain) in the ankle on Thursday although I may have really noticed it Wednesday night). I had gotten rolled by a wave on entry and attributed much to this. Friday, vague discomfort is now not so vague, and some tingling in caves is going on. This is not painful but on the class where I comment that I would not want to have that for the rest of my life. Called DAN who doubted it was DCI but encouraged me to see doctor. Did so and took a ride in the chamber. Doctor recommended a 2nd ride the following day. I did not believe I was bent and was leaving town as soon as I got out of hospital, so said I did not intend to return (yeah, I know, in hind site, it was dumb). Doctor did not argue that I should return for more treatment so I did not (say it with me, dumb!).

Lifetime Dive No. 13 Per discussion with doctor at time of initial treatment I stayed dry for 7 days. As discussed, I went diving again the following Thursday 7 days after the first incident.
Depth 47 Feet 17 minutes (with all but a few minutes spent at 20 feet).
Start of dive Group “A” at end of dive group "C"

Lifetime dive No 14 Same day as dive 13 after a SI of 2 hours Group at beginning of dive "A"
Depth 44 feet, with all but 3 or 4 minutes spent at 10-15 feet. Group at end of dive "N"

That was Thursday. On Saturday, 2 days later I drove from sea level to Hemit CA some 100 miles away and at an altitude 1,400 feet. On arrival I had a pain in the ankles and knees and it was not vague. It was in my face, not rolling on the floor, but defiantly uncomfortable. Undoubtedly I was still bent from the previous week. But that change in altitude triggered a painful reminder that I had not had before. This time the doctor said come back the next day and I did. Did two rides and 30 days of no diving. Result, minor nerve damage leaving a slight tingling feeling in soles of feet. It is all but gone now two years later.

Bottom line, the change in altitude may or may not trigger DCI. But I know for certain the body is aware of the change in elevation and responds to it.

So if driving to elevation following a dive, I would encourage you to take your time packing up, eat dinner and relax before starting home. Don’t’ be in a rush and let a few hours go by before starting up the hill and then don’t try to set a land speed record going up the hill either. Give the body time to off gas.

The cause, well for the first part is was termed “undeserved DCI” or **** happens. For the rest, it was attributed to “you’re a dumb ***”.

I now have 142 dives and no recurrence of DCI.

The drive to altitude in my case was over a period of 2.5 hours, with the diver in question leaving sea level within an hour of getting out of the water. He was a male in his early twenty's, in good shape, with a muscular build.

There are NOAA tables for time to safe ascent to altitude after diving based on repet group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom