Dive master Course Cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone that has been through the PADI dive master course can you give me an idea of how long it took you and what your total cost was. I see that PADI has a $200 fee for the online portion but I can't find any solid pricing. I'm thinking about doing my masters this summer.
Thanks

Divemaster Course outline - $375

I hope this helps!

I cannot help but compare what that listed course entails. I know the PADI standards have really minimalized the DM course, but 12 hours of class time and theory, 4 pools sessions, and 4 sea dives, is just in my opinion, ridiulous, to train a professional.

My course, I just looked up my file, had 40 hours of theory - we covered the standards and then learned full equipment technician work- all types of gear and brands- from maintainance to troubleshooting. We went back over all calculations for gas, management, nitrox, mixing...... We covered much much more and actually had discussion, debate, adn theory that was interactive....
We then spent 6 pool sessions working on all types of skills beyond the basics, troubleshooting class sessions, demonstrating skills, problem solving...
Then we had to sit through the pool sessions start to finish of 2 OW, Adv, and Rescue courses, with two different instructors.
Then came the sea 4 dives for us and our skills and tasks, then came DMC'ing those courses we sat through. Then we had to DMC the recreational boats. All summer.

We dove, and dove, and dove. And boy, we learned. It took time and energy and was worth it.

Granted, my instructor covered everything in standards, but then they went far beyond the limits. They charged according to all the extra they put into the program. We could certainly have made DM without it all, but I was grateful for their extra work. I think it made me a much better DM than others. II also racked up almost 100 dives that Spring and Summer on their boats. Priceless experience and all those free dives.........

I think, upon reflection, that the training I got was worth every single penny.

Last edited:
I'm finishing mine up now. Cost were minimal. I found a PADI Instructor willing to take me on as an intern. I have done 8 OW classes and 5 AOW classes observing and assisting. I did the academics as self study and when I didn't understand something we sat and talked through it.

I did spend $150 for my DM Crew Pack. Diving fees, air and site admission, were covered by the Instructor.

Dive Master courses can run any where from free (internship) to around $1500.00 and can take any where from 5 days (assuming you do theory online) to multiple sessions spread out over six months. Best bet is find an instructor who you trust in providing you with quality education and go from there.

The DM course costs are usually in the $600 to $1500 range. DM crewpak is around $200.

I'm in the lower part in that range, plus materials, and ask my candidates to look at about 3 months or so, to complete the course.

I include the internship, DM classes & pool work, DMC confined and open water attendance and the exams.

Don't forget to add little things like extra travel and such.

Most tend to run in the $500-800 range. You don't need to buy the online thing if you just want to study the books on your own. You can do the course in as little as a week or up to a year (I think). I took about 6 months by the time I got the book work done and had enough time to get the pool work and all of the interns in.

I will add this disclaimer though - my info may be out of date. At least for PADI, I believe the course has changed somewhat and the time/cost may have been affected.

in Australia where everything is more expensive, even though the dollar is now higher....

$1600 perhaps plus another $100-$150 for non accounted time, effort, petrol, parking etc

the course was $900 the crew pack was $200, insurance $200, PADI membership $200 (i think? although $160 comes to mind...) other odds and ends like map materials, first aid kit, spares kit (all required) came to at least another $150.

at the end of the day i already have a day job so being in an intern full time on a resort wasn't possible, and the store i dive with doesn't do DM intern's due to having enough DM's and DMC's to fill the requirements. plus i wanted it finished ASAP.

this was completed less than 6 months ago.

Holy smokes, I need to open a satellite store there! Love those numbers!!

Back
Top Bottom