Dive Logs - History ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn’t get officially certified until 1992 (PADI) and got my first logbook as part of that coursework. However, I took a NAUI based course as a Phys Ed class in college in 1969 or 70. We never did the “open water” portion of our training, just classroom and pool, but I don’t recall ever hearing logbooks even mentioned in that course. We were using pretty primitive gear back then with half double hose regs and the rest being “newfangled” single hose regs. No SPGs, just J valves, very simple back plates w/o any flotation, so minimal weight on our belts.

We did discuss the Navy deco tables and other such “advanced” topics, but again, I can’t remember any mention of dive logs. I wonder what other topics we skipped over?? 🤔 Things sure had changed in the 25 years before I actually got certified!

🐸
Green Frog,

This does not appear to be an actual NAUI course, just some instructor (perhaps not even a NAUI instructor) teaching off NAUI materials. I know that in the early 1970s I was working with NAUI Instructor Midge Cramer, and he used double hose Healthways Scuba regulators exclusively. There was a lot of pool work, but we also had checkout dives in a local Oregon coastal lake. Then, we had an Oregon State University sponsored series of dives in Hawaii too, but that was an add-on, and not required to pass Midge’s course.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom