Dive Log, Mac Dive, Dive Log Manager... I'm lost.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randytay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi guys,

I was thinking that in today's day and age, using a logbook to log your dives are a little behind. Since I have an Oceanic dive computer, I decided to get the software to download the data on my computer, but alas! The software is not Mac compatible!

After some googling, I found Mac Dive and it seemed to be my solution. Then I read further and saw the Dive Log Manager (for iPhone) so I decided to search for the app on iTunes but did not find the "Free" Dive Log Manager, but found the $9.99 Dive Log. then I realized that the Dive Log Manager is not an iPhone app but a desktop program to "sync" with the iPhone.

Please correct me if I am wrong: To sync the logs, I need Mac Dive on my Mac, Dive Log on my iPhone and Dive Log Manager on my Mac to sync between the 2 programs on the 2 media?

I also read the review that Dive Log is not really true Mac compatible with syncing because you cannot export/import file format from iPhone to the Mac?

Please advise.

So... nobody uses a mac to log their dives here?

Something to consider is an online log such as:

diverecord.com or diveexchange.com both very good.

Couple others for Mac are

macdive - home

and

DiveLog

Both have people who like them.

Since I have an Oceanic dive computer, I decided to get the software to download the data on my computer, but alas! The software is not Mac compatible!

The Oceanic software is barely Windows compatible.....:idk:

I'm wrestling with the same issue. I really like Suunto DiveManager, which logs all the data from my Suunto computer and displays it in useful manner. Having tried MacDive, which just about gets all the info, but displays it in a way that I don't like, I've come up with the solution. I have a 20Gb Bootcamp partition, and run DiveManager from that. Works perfectly, now my next issue is how to get that onto the iphone?:cool2:

Thanks guys. DiveLog does not seemed to be compatitble with my computer :/

I have been using Dive Log (iPhone app) along with MacDive for quite some time now, and it all works great on my Mac! I admit that it is a small hassle getting dives from one to the other. The latest Dive Log Manager beta does a better job of syncing between the two. But I believe the two developers have actually been in communication to make that a bit more seamless (fingers crossed!). Both applications are awesome imo.

How do you guys get your dive logs signed/stamped? I'd like to avoid having a paper dive log record at all, but I'm not sure how to get them signed, especially on certification dives.

Typically this is not an issue. The instructor you are doing your dives with is keeping track of that (since he is literally there with you). I haven't kept a paper log for a long time, and during that time I have done three different certification courses. Never been an issue.

How do you guys get your dive logs signed/stamped? I'd like to avoid having a paper dive log record at all, but I'm not sure how to get them signed, especially on certification dives.

i use Dive Log for the Iphone. You can either sync certain computers to the mac using MacDive then sync to your Iphone using the DiveLog Manager. It is a one way street. If you are on-site and decide to add dives to your Iphone, they can only be backed up to the Mac as a restore file. They cannot go back into MacDive. Hopefully someday this will be fixed. As far as having someone sign off on your dive, that is simple. The Dive Log for the Iphone allows you to create a contact for a buddy and then allows you to have them actually sign for that dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom