Dive Locations in Penang, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pwr_Diver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have (aww shucks) to travel to Penang, Malaysia on business before the end of the year; likely late November. Does anyone know of any good dive spots and/or shops in that area? Has anyone traveled there themselves that would like to share some tips? Diving or otherwise?

Thanks,
Shea

Someone else who has experience around Penang will hopefully also answer but if you are coming from the US at that time, you may also want to consider nearby diving the Similans (from Phuket), Krabi, Langkawi or Pulau Weh.

From Penang, considering a lot of factors, I might choose Weh. Roundtrip flights on Air Asia to Medan are only $35 to $90. If you have more time, 5 hour ferries are much cheaper and more, ummm, interesting. Research it but you still need to get from Medan to Banda Aceh then Weh. Weh is probablly like what Phuket or Bali were 40 years ago. It would be a trip you'd enjoy if you are a traveller.

Hi Shea

If you wish to go diving from Penang (without having to fly off somewhere else), the only place to go is Pulau Payar in Langkawi,     <<     Langkawi Coral     >>          

There are a number of tour agencies in Penang which organise trips to Pulau Payar. Most of the major hotels will be able to book you on a trip. Here are the links for 2 agents where you can book on-line if you wish:-

Pulau Payar Marine Park Excursion - Tour Penang
Pulau Payar Marine Park Snorkeling Tour from Penang, Penang Day Trips | Viator.com

The diving is not amazing, but it is more convenient than having to arrange flights/travel to the east coast where the diving is better, but where I think late November is the start of the monsoon season.

Whatever you do, don't forget to check out the very many attractions of Penang. Go to the Kek Lok Si Temple, the Snake Temple, Penang Hill on the funicular railway, the Khoo Kongsi Clan House, Batu Ferringhi beach. For shopping, go to Penang Road, Pasar Chowrastar, the night markets and the bazaars along the Coast Road in Batu Feringghi - make sure you haggle! And don't miss the amazing food that Penang is rightly famous for. You simply must check out the hawker food (found everywhere), the food stalls at the night-markets, and the numerous restaurants serving local food. Amongst the must-trys are char kway teow, popiah, mee rebus, murtabak, chendol and nonya kueh. And if you have time, hire a traditional fishing boat for a day from Batu Ferringhi and ask to go to Monkey Beach.

Have a fabulous time!

Lily

Bayswaterbabe is absolutely correct about things NOT to miss while you visit Penang. As a local myself, I will recommend you to dive at Pulau Payar. It is very easy to get there. Ferry start at 8.00a.m from Penang and arrive at Pulau Payar about 9.45a.m. The ferry return at about 4.00p.m from Pulau Payar to Penang on the same day. Perhaps you can make 2 dives.You can check with East Marine Dive Operator website or Langkawi Coral Penang.

Enjoy your visit to Penang.

Back
Top Bottom