Dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How small???
May I recommend the Pelican Super Sabre? About $22.95 from Leisure-Pro.

I'd highly suggest you skip the sabre, uk Q 40, Princeton Tec 40 etc... Find another few bucks in the couch cushions and move to about a $30 price tag - since that's about where you'd have to be to get a light that actually has an on - off switch instead of a twist on, twist off switch.

So I'd say go with a UK Sl4 or maybe the Ikelite PCA

Either of these will put out a lot more light, last longer, and have fewer problems... and 27 bucks or so instead of 20...

Just take a look at the amount of batteries a light will hold to estimate it's size- something that holds 8 'C' cells isn't exactly small. Dive lights also have heavier bodies than non water proof lights so that will add to the bulk. To buy a light you first have to decide what your going to do with it. You asked about a small light for $20. That may mean something that holds 2 'AA' batteries but the light output may not be what you expect. As far as on-off switches go, that is personal preference. Every feature of a piece of dive gear is a compromise. An on-off switch is still a moving part that can fail. With any dive light, proper maitainance is the key. Remove the batteries between dives and keep the o-ring completely free of sand and keep them lightly lubricated. As far as the Pelican SuperSabre, or any other Pelican light, they come with a virtually unconditional lifetime warranty. That must tell you something about the manufacturer's faith in the product. Take a look at www.brightguy.com

I'm partial to the sabre, ya gottaq love the guarantee...

Guaranteed against everything but shark bite, bear attack, and children under the age of five.

I just posted this in a separate thread, but perhaps it should go here. What about the UK SL4 vs. Pelican Supersabre? Looking for a backup light to throw on the harness, that also will serve as a good light for lookin under nooks & crannies in the daytime, etc. I've read as many previous threads I could find, and these are the two I'm debating between....

Jim

av8er23:
I am looking to buy a small dive light for about 20 bucks. Can you guys recommend any? What are the considerations besides size?

What are you going to use the light for?

Backup/Emergencies? Night diving? General light for daytime use?

jtivat:
I like the UK SL4.

That's my backup, the on/off switch just failed. Pretty new light too. It was a pain installing the batteries too. No longer on my top-ten list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom