Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwattendorf

Registered
Reaction score
Narrowed my dive light search to 2 lights; the bigblue 3800 and the Nanight Sport 2, need this for night dives and my primary when I start cave.

Thoughts?

If your plan is to move into cave diving then more than likely you're going to want a primary with a rigid goodman handle.

I have the Orcatorch D630 and really rate it, although I only do OW dives currently.

Halcyon focus 2, flare exp, light monkey, Diverite or uwld. You don’t want a cheap primary for cave. Having them break is annoying and you’re using it literally every dive so get something nice.

Halcyon focus 2, flare exp, light monkey, Diverite or uwld. You don’t want a cheap primary for cave. Having them break is annoying and you’re using it literally every dive so get something nice.
I second this with a focus on the Halcyon and LM offerings. Never used an UWLD, but you won't regret ending up with a high quality can light from Halcyon or LM. The cordless Focus and Flare are pretty sweet, but I prefer corded lights for technical dives.

I second this with a focus on the Halcyon and LM offerings. Never used an UWLD, but you won't regret ending up with a high quality can light from Halcyon or LM. The cordless Focus and Flare are pretty sweet, but I prefer corded lights for technical dives.

I love my UWLD primary, FWIW. My LM is also OK, but not nearly as bright as the UWLD. The DR light kept getting wounded cords on wrecks and getting flooded. I gave up having it fixed, put a different gland on it with a tougher cord, and use it now off a different battery. From a support standpoint, I've never needed anything on the LM (which doesn't see much use through no fault of its own) but Bobby's service for UWLD has been rapid and top-notch.

Hi. If you are relatively new to night/wreck diving and buying your first dive torch, as say a PADI OW/AOW diver, then suggest you buy something small and handheld that will easily clip on to a wing or fit in a BCD pocket and has one button fixed focus operation. You don't really need lumens, but you do need easy to use and carry. I like Orca Torch D710 but anything that sort of shape & size is the point I'm making.

You can use it as a secondary light if/when you do start cave diving and are ready to spend more money on your kit and training. For a primary light in cave diving your instructor is almost certainly going to recommend you buy something with a goodman handle.

Back
Top Bottom