Dive light has small leak somewhere :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbalmr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys,
After the last couple dives ive done ive noticed that there are a couple of drops of water inside the lens of my dive light. Ive double checked the o-rings and seals and they all are in good shape. would adding some silicone to the seals and o-rings remedy this problem? Ive never had a leak before so I am at a loss.

-Gabe

Silicone would likely make things worse if it interferes with the o-ring. If it's just in the lens area it may not cause any harm---can't hurt the glass. If it gets to the electronics...well, that's not good.

Can you get new O-rings for it?

Could it be condensation? (is it salty?)

Very thin layer of silicon... do it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Its only been in fresh water so it's not salty, I have found some drops in the battery compartment too but I think it's all connected. I have half a mind to put some silicone caulking around the lens to seal it up. I don't know, I got it as a present and I think it is a cheap chinese replica. I might just use it on land and buy a good name brand flashlight that I know is of good quality.

......silicone! :p

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Silicone grease is a lubricant NOT a sealant. Take the light apart, clean all the grooves, clean the lens, replace the orings, if possible, if not clean them carefully but don't stretch them. Inspect grooves for manufacturing defects like a mold "bump". These little sharp edges cause leaks, usually at depth, if found carefully remove with a jewlers file. Apply a light coating of grease on the oring, just enough to make it shine, and re- install. If possible install desiccant. Reassemble the light. Next time you go diving inspect it for leaks. A big glob of silicone solves nada.

Assuming its not condensation and there is nothing interfering with the O rings such as a stray hair and the O rings are not damaged your leak will likely only get worse. Its hard to offer definitive advice over the internet without actually seeing the light. I'm not a fan of twist activated lights and now only buy lights using magnetic collars. As others have said silicone is a lubricant not a sealant. I too am curious as to what brand your light is? Regardless, it's a great excuse to buy a new diving toy. Good luck.

---------- Post added September 10th, 2013 at 11:36 PM ----------

Just realized it being a twist activated light was an assumption on my part, I apologize if it is not.

This is the same light, sorry I don't have a better picture. It's not twist activated, it has a magnetic collar.
515rMQr-ccL._SX385_.jpg

---------- Post added September 11th, 2013 at 11:41 AM ----------

From the reviews on Amazon.com it seems this is prone to leaking... that's too bad because it is super bright. I guess I'll just use it topside and start looking for a name brand light. Thanks for all the help everyone.

One suggestion: don't twist on/off at depth. The O-rings are at most risk when twisting so, IMHO, it's best to do this at the surface where there's no pressure differential.

Oh, and if you're just using it hand held, you could try putting it in a big baggie---couldn't hurt, eh?

D'oh, not twisty...never mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom