Dive Light for Spearing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BadaBing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Advice on this appreciated. I'd like to pick up a light that I can use while spearfishing, generally to see under ledges. Have seen lights listed that are LED, HID, etc. Which technology produces the most light? As is, I already look like a hardware store with liftbags, etc. clipped everywhere, so I want to find one that is fairly small and shaped like a conventional flashlight. I'll look at new and used, but any suggestions on a make/model appreciated.

There are many, many discussions on this.

Short version is if you don't need a really bright lamp - get an LED
If you want a really bright lamp (more than say a 10 watt LED) - look at HID.

Technical reason being that LEDs get less efficient as you overdrive them whereas HIDs become more efficient (Given current technology at consumer-level cost realities).

Asking whether LED or HID is "better" in some absolute sense is missing the point - they both have roles. You need to evaluate what's important to you.

You also want to consider burn time, size, etc.

For your stated purposes, I recommend getting an LED torch - should be more than adequate. I like the Intova 4.7s e.g. the Nova Wide. Well-constructed, good value for the money. Even if you end up purchasing a bigger system they make for an extremely compact secondary so there's really no loss either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom