Dive light for day dives in Cancun??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from a week in Cancun.I would say a light for open water is not necessary. The white sand and clear water is light enough. The light will be beneficial if you go deep on a reef and want to see some color. Now if you do some cenotes dives, you will want a light to focus on the shaded or darker points. I just carried a pocket light in my BC. I was surprised the water temps were in the upper 70's. I used my 3mil all week. We dove Solo Blanco out of Fiesta Americana Grand Coral. North tip of the island.

Last Xmas I was in the Carribean and I used my 18w HID lamp on day dives.
I was able to see things all the group had missed, under ledges, in crevices and on a wall dive that was on the shaded side on a cloudy day.
I was able to get the DM's attention in one instance when I saw a giant pufferfish under a ledge he had just passed by.

I paid good money for it and I would be dumb to use it only on night dives or in dark environments.

We use them in the St-Laurence river to communicate, it works in the south also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom