Dive light for day dives in Cancun??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only dive warm in tropical (and subtropical) locations and can't imagine diving without my light. There are so many nooks and crannies to look into for critters where you need the light to see. I agree that an SL4-LED would be plenty.

depending on your time, there are instructions in the DIY area for building a $30 BRIGHT led flashlight out of online parts. The other side is a strobe, and that is what I am bringing. With 90' vis, I doubt that I will need it for anything. You never know, I may get away with a night dive!

I've never needed a light in daytime in the tropics, and imo it's probably gonna be so bright that you won't even be able to see the beam most of the time, let alone signal with it. I do think it's a good idea to keep a small 4-AA backup light on your rig at all times though, so there's a good reason to get one.

When I saw your thread title, I thought you were talking about doing one of the guided Cenotes cavern dives. If you do, there's no question you need a light, you just have to decide whether you want to use your own or a rental.

I always carry two lights. it is part of my gear. tucked under my arms and ready f r deployment at any given time. Twin LED Photo topedos nice and bright for them dark days.

That beign said...look at princetontec and pelican Saber light - ... they have a nice small led light for cheap. Perfect for poking around.

I have two as back ups or for a buddy. Paid $25 CDN at the time. I am sure you can hunt around for something. Look at Ebay..pleanty there.

here is Pelican:
Pelican™*Products*Nemo™ 1900

Princeton Tec | Technical Sport Lighting | Products

ya wanna bet on that.

Why do you have driving lights in the day? so you can see what is behind you or coming at you.

Having a light on during a day dive, you can signal to your buddy with the beam right in there face. It is not very bright but the beam will get there attention. Depends on the light. My LED'S willl get your attention. and if I shine my HID can light...that will also do the job nicely...

As long as you have established certain communication skills. Which should be part of your buddy dive plan. The signaling light beam across ones face means ATTENTION..

Flashlights aren't very useful for signaling other divers during the day.

I always carry a light during the day in the tropics, no you don't usually need it (unless you find yourself doing swim throughs but lets not go down that rathole :wink: ) But it's great for looking under ledges and stuff. My current daytime light (and backup) is a 8AA which is pretty bright and a little smaller than a 4C.

I would find the SL6 to large to tuck away. I wonder why they would recommend that particular light, the cynic in me wonders if they're trying to get rid of the non-LED lights they have in stock. Certainly not for signaling, I doubt you can see an SL6 in the open in the day. (IMO opinion a light powerful enough to signal someone during the day in clear tropical water is too bright for diving there at night. And if you can shine a smaller light in someones face there are better ways to signal. Like tap them on the shoulder!)

I only dive warm in tropical (and subtropical) locations and can't imagine diving without my light. There are so many nooks and crannies to look into for critters where you need the light to see..

I expected a number of responses to argue which light to pick, but I am agog that these are the only two replies that were insistent upon their usefulness! I have to tell you, unless you have a light turned on and probing the shadows as you go, you are missing the best part of critter spotting.

Without a light, you're going to get pretty bored with the animals that inhabit the openly lit spaces. A lot of people come back from dive trips (Roatan's South side or Belize are a prime example) and are "sure they didn't see anything". It's a self fulfilling prophecy. If you are happy with Lobsters and Parrotfish, maybe you'll never know what you are missing.

I always carry a light during the day in the tropics, no you don't usually need it (unless you find yourself doing swim throughs but lets not go down that rathole :wink: ) But it's great for looking under ledges and stuff.

Remember~ the daylight use of a flashlight is to alleviate the contrast of shadows. Little critters rely upon this seemingly minor difference in the amount of light caused by shadows "to hide in plain sight". If you want proof, note how a Barracuda will hang in the shadow of an overhang- be it a reef or a hull of a boat. He utilizes shadows as a predatory advantage~ others use it as a survival technique.

The only flashlight that is worth a dime is the one that is on and attached to you via a wrist lanyard. I like the new, bright and beam focused LED's that can burn 120 hours on 2 AA batteries. The old LED lights wer very diffuse and were useless other than for lighting a dive boat's clutter at night.

Whatever you select~ absolutely... take a small light and use it. It's like turning over rocks... you never know what you'll find!

For the money, I think a light is an addition that pays for itself on the first dive with it.
Joe

Thanks for the responses. You have talked me into it. I bought an SL6 from Vondo for a good price. Thanks again and maybe I will post what I found with it when I get back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom