Dive light for day dives in Cancun??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murdrcycle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My LDS told me that I should bring (which means first I have to buy - from them) an SL6 dive light for my upcoming trip to Cancun. Even though all of my dives will be day dives, he said that I will be very glad I had it, both to help illuminate crevaces and to use it to get the attention of other divers if required.

The logic sounds plausible, and they haven't steered me wrong yet, but I was wondering what everyone here thinks.

An SL6 is a decent light at a reasonable price ... but I have never felt the need for a light during day diving in the tropics.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I find that it is nice to have a light, even in the tropics. I have an UK 4 AA cell light that I bring with me to look under coral heads and such. If you are sure you will never do a night dive buy the cheapest light you can find. If you plan to night dive in the future buy a light that would be a decent backup...

Agreed. A 4xAA or 4xC-Cell light would be fine for the Carribbean. A 4 or 6xC-Cell would even be fine for a night dive there. The dives are shallow, water is clear...

-Charles

I always keep a little UK handheld in my pocket....and use it frequently during the day dives for looking under coral heads and into crevices. I seriously doubt it would get anyone's attention during the day....

I always like having a small light to peek into nooks and cervices with. As for getting someones attention, use it in place of a tank banger. Sure saves on using your knuckles against the tank.

My LDS told me that I should bring (which means first I have to buy - from them) an SL6 dive light for my upcoming trip to Cancun. Even though all of my dives will be day dives, he said that I will be very glad I had it, both to help illuminate crevaces and to use it to get the attention of other divers if required.

The logic sounds plausible, and cybershot t1, but I was wondering what everyone here thinks.

A small lite is helpful but not necessary...Personally I don't carry one, but.......------Also remember, there's always a 1st time(for steering someone wrong)......go for it, never can tell when a nite dive will become available...

The logic sounds plausible, and they haven't steered me wrong yet, but I was wondering what everyone here thinks.

I like having a light on day dives. I keep it in a pocket until I need it. There are always ledges to look under and they are helpful on wrecks too. But, I'm getting rid of my SL6 that I've used for that purpose. I got an SL4-LED instead. It fits much better in a pocket. The SL6 is a little long.

As others said, both would make fine lights for night dives in the tropics too.

And if you're still set on an SL6 and you want a nearly new blue one, PM me. :wink:

I've logged my share of dives in Cancun and while it's not 100% necessary and you'll enjoy your dives without it, there are occasions when it's very helpful. I can recall one on my last trip there last year where the DM pointed out a big green moray that swam under a ledge way back in the dark. I didn't have my light with me on that one and as a consequence never got to see it. I blame this on my wife since she lost hers on an earlier dive and being a good husband I gave her mine for the rest of the trip. We concluded she dropped it when removing her BC at the surface before boarding the boat. My advice? Buy the light and when you get it, clip it to your BC so you don't lose it! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom