Dive-less advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tinytechie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've got a full day stopover on a flight to Canada in Taipei. Anyone have any reccommendations on must-see things in the city? we're just gonna go through customs and do our own thing, skip the free half day tour (i dont like tours) so.. any suggestions?

If you like shopping, check out Taipei 101. Until about a month ago, it was the tallest building in the world.

The National Museum is worth a visit as it houses about 5,000 years worth of Chinese masterpieces. The Nationalists move it all from mainland China to Taiwan just before the Communists took over. National Palace Museum

If you happen to be in Taipei in the evening, there are several night markets worth checking out. Shilin was a bit too crowded for my tastes and I thought Huaxi Street (Snake Alley) was much more manageable.

Last edited:
Hi Choyster,

Although this is off topic, may I know if you are in Macau now? Any diving spot in Macau?

Cheers.

Hey all,

I've got a full day stopover on a flight to Canada in Taipei. Anyone have any reccommendations on must-see things in the city? we're just gonna go through customs and do our own thing, skip the free half day tour (i dont like tours) so.. any suggestions?
Tinytechie,

Depends how long you are going to be on the ground for and what you are after seeing, but from International Airport jump a cab and you can get to Taipei city and 101 in around an hour, well worth heading to the top of 101 for the views out over the city, down below the 101 shopping mall - umm expensive designer shops and better to keep the credit card in the pocket !

From 101, 20 mins taxi ride and you should have a look at the CKS Memorial hall and National Theatre buildings, also maybe worth heading to a traditional temple, loads around but "confuscious" temple worth a look. National Museum as Choyster said worth a trip.

Shopping, theres a whole steet of Camera shops close to the Main rail station, prices well below HK, there's also a whole street of computer shops, much cheaper than anywhere I know, as loads of computer stuff made here.

Night markets Snake alley 'tourist market' worth a walk through, albeit not good for snake lovers.

Food - you name it is is here and high quaility.

If you don't fancy the buildings and city stuff, from Taipei tell someone you want to go to the Hot Spring area on Yangminshan mountain (Beitou), or up to Wulai - get yourself a private room with hot spring water, and spend the afternoon lazing and boling yourself in the hot water - the views from Yangminshan are great on a summers days, whereas Wulai has one of the highest waterfalls in Taiwan, and a cultural feel about the place.

If that's not enough, or you want more info on any of the above drop me a PM through here and I'll get back to you.

Cheers

Thats awesome, thanks for the info everyone. I think we get in at about 5 am and leave at around 11pm so the whole day really. Is there any easy/cheaper public transport than cabs? like a metro or busses to use to get around? I want to see as much as possible, will probably skip the shopping, though maybe the cheap electronics :wink: Anywhere to buy ultra cheap dive gear? Those cultural spots sound really good.. and the night markets.. damn im gonna wish i had more than a day!!!

Hi Choyster,

Although this is off topic, may I know if you are in Macau now? Any diving spot in Macau?

Cheers.

Carry93 --

Yes, I'm in Macau now. The water around Macau is REALLY disgusting and I can't imagine anyone wanting to get into it voluntarily. I've heard of some less-disgusting rocks in the middle of the ocean which might be dive-able but the logistics would prove to be very difficult as those islands are technically part of Zhuhai (PRC) and I don't think anyone really dives them anyhow. Best option I've found is to fly to the Philippines for a long weekend. If anyone out there knows of a local option, let me know!

Hi Choyster,

Thanks for your advice and info. Yeah, I do agree that the Zhuhai part is indeed muddy and vis is terrible. For us in Hong Kong, we normally dive in the Eastern Part, instead of the Western Part (probably b'coz of the River from Zhuhai and nearby region in China).

There are some "illegal" speedboat trip for divers (especially hunter I believe) to go out of Hong Kong terrioteries to China boundary, perhaps those Islands you mentioned but I've never been there.

Some also go to the China Oil Rig, but I don't think that's a good and safe place for recreational divers.

Thanks again.

Thats awesome, thanks for the info everyone. I think we get in at about 5 am and leave at around 11pm so the whole day really. Is there any easy/cheaper public transport than cabs? like a metro or busses to use to get around? I want to see as much as possible, will probably skip the shopping, though maybe the cheap electronics :wink: Anywhere to buy ultra cheap dive gear? Those cultural spots sound really good.. and the night markets.. damn im gonna wish i had more than a day!!!
Hi Tinytechie,

Yep there are regular buses from the airport up to the city, just head to the tourist counter in the arrivals hall, grab yourself a tourist map and the girls wil point you in the right direction. When in Taipei city, yep there's a good MRT metro system, and you'll find the abundant yellow taxis are relatively cheap ~ but remember it's a Chinese speaking country, so make sure the taxi knows where he is heading for otherwise he'll drive around with the meter ticking until you tell him to stop !

Cheap diving shops, umm if you find one let me know as most gear is imported so a bit pricey. Long stopover, should be able to see a fair bit, so enjoy.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom