Dive ladder steps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowlysubaruguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What’s your favorite round oval or flat steps on a divers ladder a number of my dive buddies are heavy 200 to 250 pounds which is a factor. Some dive ladders hurt my feet.
Winter project is building a ladder. Much more in depth than a simple bolt on unit. Will have railing and fold and lock to itself when up. Want to use the right step shape.
Pictures of your favorite ladder would be great. I’m a fabricator of sorts want to make something that really performs well.

Not sure how to design or arrange it, but a ladder at somewhat of an angle I would think would be more helpful than straight perpendicular.

All our ladders are round tube, wrapped with rip for grip

They are at an angle to ease ascent, also bottom rung is deep enough to allow getting yourself to the vertical

At the top, good grab handles to allow getting into the boat if it’s choppy

Edit: The norm is here for fin off ladders, I prefer them to fin tree especially in rough waters

However as seen in the post below, we’re all different.

I like a tree shaped ladder. Step open on both sides. Also a ladder that flexes (is hinged at the boat, ladder itself is rigid) is easier to get on in choppy seas. The tape is good it is just that it tends to wear off. Personally unless the seas are real calm i prefer to get on with fins on. Once the fins are off the ability to move around is greatly reduced and with a boat in swells I want to be able to accelerate up onto the ladder when I think it is time. Then hold on and get situated and then go up. Some sort of handhold on the boat to help exit the ladder is good also.

I use oval tube 18” wide on a fins off ladder. I do not like Christmas tree ladders. The oval tube is a 2 1/2” x 1 1/2” extrusion. I get it from a aluminum supplier in Louisiana.

We modified a swing bracket for our Armstrong ladder. I recently added non-skid tape to the railings. With the welded arm and rubber stop, the ladder rests at a slight angle in the water. We have a line and bolt snap attached to the ladder. When the ladder is up, we loop the line around the railings and clip it to itself.
Ladder_DSC1273.jpg

DSC1300.jpg

DSC1299.jpg

DSC1298.jpg

DSC1297.jpg

DSC1296.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom