Dive knife in Kauai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dyin-To-Dive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can you dive with a knife in Kauai, or is it prohibited? I read some threads that said it was a good idea to take one with you, due to all the fisherman/lines that can be in the water.

Thanks!

I'd be willing to bet they are allowed. I always wear a knife when I dive. It's quite a valuable tool to have for so many different things.... Never heard of them being "not allowed" here in Hawaii.

I carry a small blade on my BCD, downright modest compared to some I see around here. Never have had to use it to free myself. Usually use it to cut fishing line off the coral, local anglers can be pretty bad when it comes to lost line and weights. It tangles in the cauliflower coral and kills the head.

I done two trips there and have never heard of any knife restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

living here i dive with one every time im in the water

No restrictions on Kauai regarding a dive knife. It is however very unlikely that you would have any need for one. As "Shaka Doug" mentioned they are a valuable tool - but if you are with a DM they would be more appropriate to handle any issue with critters entangled or coral for that matter. I'm in the water multiple times each day and there just isn't that much fishing line. In the unlikely event you were doing some unguided diving at a remote location that would be the only time I could see line being an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom