ever brave the ice?

• yay

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • nay

Votes: 27 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did first ice dive in 1974, and a few since. Don't mind the water temp, but getting out of gear after, etc., I find unenjoyable. It is an experience to go in water about as clear as Florida springs with no algea, when in summer a good day is 10' of vis. I haven't been in for years.

Our local dive club (Decenders of Lake Orion, Michigan) goes every Sunday during winter and has a Super Bowl Sunday ice dive and chili cookout.

I grew up in the snow and ice and I've had enough. I'm all about the warm water and sunny beach diving, (though I do like diving California). If you want to dive under the ice, go for it. Me, I'll be someplace warm.

As a postscript: Winters in Florida soon, and come back to the Great Lakes surrounding Michigan during the summers. In about 3 yrs, I don't plan to be around the snow and ice to even go stand on the ice and observe at a club outing, let alone go under again. We plan to move our cruising sailboat to the Straites of Mackinaw, about 20 minutes from our summer home on Mullet Lake, where we enter into Lake Huron with our dive boat from Cheboygan.

<No more ice dives for me>

JCKCSYCMD once bubbled...
PhotTJ...or another way of phrasing your signoff:
No one is completely usless...
they can always be used,
as a bad example.

or soilent green perhaps.:eek:

.. would love to try it sometime... but I would like to have more experience then I do now... and I would also like to have a drysuit!!! No way I would try it in my 7mm... I can handle cold.. but I think that might just be a little too cold for me!!:)

Kayla:)

Quite often OW classes up in the Lake Tahoe area are taught with show on the ground. It isn't "ice diving" but any standing water smaller than the lake will turn to ice. Both my little sister and my best friend got there certs in January and February respectivly. When my sis did it, they did one dive spending all time not in the water in cars with the heat turned up, it was snowing outside and they had to abort 1/2 of the day because it was cold. Also, my sis (and probably most of the other students) was only in a 7 mil wetsuit.

Homer Simpson drools when he thinks of donuts? That’s how I got when I saw this thread.

You betch-a I ice dive. My buddy and I were the last divers from our club under the ice this year. This may sound strange from a cheeser way up north of the Sun Belt, but I can’t wait for winter.

It is a lot of work. We need to transport the 8 to 20 divers and their gear out to the site. We have to set up shelters and wind breaks. And of course, cut the hole. We need line tenders and someone to stir the after dive chili so it doesn’t burn. Then, several hours later, break camp and haul everything back to shore.

The group that we’ve joined plans weekly ice dives, conditions permitting. We even make sure we have a night ice dive. Most of us dive dry but on any given weekend you’ll find someone in a wet suit.

We only put 2 divers into the hole at a time. Each diver is attached by a 6’ tether to the surface line. A certified ice diver always tends the surface line. We usually only get 20 minutes per team to allow every one a chance to dive as the sun goes down early here in the winter.

Check our club website at www.4seasonsscubadivers.com I know the Ice dive reports are still there and I think you may find some pictures.

Of course, don’t try this without proper training and equipment. I remember reading of 2 ice diving drowning victims in Iowa this last season. I think I saw it on this board ~ maybe not.

Adios

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom