Dive Instruction in Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moonwrasse / Steve / anyone else who is confused...

I was at DTW from about November 2005 - March 2007 and before I joined there was nobody posting from DTW on forums, so I started the username On The Spot.. I am not sure exactly who is posting now... I think Gavin??

Anyway, yes, back in my old Sunrise DIVERS chair since March last year.

I am the Batfish. I thank you.

Jamie

Thank you all. It appears that there's no lack of qualified instructors, and the choice ends up as one of personal preference based on email or phone contact unless I wait until I arrive to find a shop, and even then it's hit or miss I guess.

Paulie

It's true that there's a risk with anything you do, and in the end it's a decision I'll have to live with. I think I have a few decent leads, and will deal with the dive shops and see what develops. I'm sure it will be fine, and will ultimately get me the certification and training so I'm not a danger to myself or others underwater, which is the purpose.

There are plenty of places to do your OW with, and they should be able to provide your equipment for the class . Also I'd suggest your checkout dives be done from a boat and not shore, unless you're cheap.

Between May - October all of the DC's on Phuket offer boat dives for the Open Water Course dives since there are no other dive site options suitable for beginners then. However in the high season months some DC's offer a few more options for all 4 OW dives. For example, instead of doing all 4 OW dives off the boat at Koh Racha Yai there is a choice of 2 beach dives (shore entries) and 2 boat dives whether it be off a longtail boat to local sites or off the daytrip boat to Koh Racha Yai. All options have different positives.

At some of the shore entry dive sites we see more marine life than at Koh Racha Yai especially during the high season months with the so many trainee divers from all of the DC's around Phuket going to Racha then. One of our most popular OW Course options during the high season months is: 2 shore entry dives for dives # 1 and 2 and dives #3 and 4 off the boat. This way the student gets to see different sites rather than dive at the same sites. Obviously this option costs less than all 4 dives being conducted off the daytrip boat. Walking from the beach into the ocean does not take up much fuel.:D

On the other hand I agree that boat dives should be conducted within the course and that not all 4 OW training dives be conducted off the beach. We have yet to teach a course where a person opts for all 4 OW dives off the beach. Most people want a choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom