Dive Instruction in Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulie305

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm looking at a family trip to Phuket in August/September, and want to get open water certified while there. The hotel doesn't appear to have a dive shop on site, so I'm looking for any recommendations for a place to get certified. I'll also need to buy equipment, so if the dive center offers discounts for people getting certified, that would be a bonus.

Any help?

Thanks!

I have dived with Phuket Scuba Club (Diving Phuket Scuba Club Thailand - PADI courses and Liveaboard scuba diving) several times and can recommend them highly. Kevan and Chantal will treat you like old friends and take good care of you. Their main shop is on Kata Beach, but they can pick you up at your hotel. They offer everything from shore dives, local longtail boat dives, daytrips and they they can arrange liveaboards. They have good instructors and they do offer discounts on equipment. They don't stock a huge amount of gear, but they can get just about anything you want.

They post frequently here as "Ringo".

There are lots of other good dive operators in the Phuket area, this is just the one I am most familiar with. I am an instructor myself (not for them) have been diving Thailand for over 7 years.

You will love it there!

Chok di,
Thomjinx

I'm looking at a family trip to Phuket in August/September, and want to get open water certified while there. The hotel doesn't appear to have a dive shop on site, so I'm looking for any recommendations for a place to get certified. I'll also need to buy equipment, so if the dive center offers discounts for people getting certified, that would be a bonus.

Any help?

Thanks!

There are plenty of places to do your OW with, and they should be able to provide your equipment for the class . Also I'd suggest your checkout dives be done from a boat and not shore, unless you're cheap.

Thomjinx and MoonWrasse,

Thanks for the insight! I'd definitely prefer to do the checkout dives from a boat, and will be asking those questions as the time draws near.

Paulie

Hi Paulie,

Where are you staying?

There are loads of options in Phuket. From professional, long established centres to less-then-reliable outfits so it pays to do some research in advance and find a company you are comfortable with.

Dive The World is a respected dive centre near the beach in Patong - which might be one option for your Open Water Course in Patong.

Cheers

I'll be staying at the Cape Panwa Hotel. From what I've seen, it's a bit remote. That might or might not be a challenge for transfers, but we'll see.

Thanks!
Paulie

Dive The World is a respected dive centre near the beach in Patong
Always nice to see someone finds himself respected.

In August/September you will have a hard time finding anybody that does any of the training dives from shore. A pity actually, because the diving from shore can be very nice, and especially the combination (one day shore, one day boat) can be very nice and gives experiences in two completely different environments.

Nah, you're close enough to the pier where most boats depart from that you could almost jog there.
I would guess well over 10 K. No problem for transfers, but most DC's will ask a surcharge.

Back
Top Bottom