Info Dive incident in Portugal - Ponta Delgada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sheeper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I received word that on Tuesday, March 15, my dear friend, Alison Wright (-1356) was involved in a serious dive incident while diving in Ponta Delgada in the Azores. Family is enroute today but the initial report is that she suffered a significant cardiac event and is currently on life support with little brain activity.
While we do not yet have details on what happened, we have been advised that she also was COVID positive.

Alison is a true world explorer and was diving all over the world on her adventures. She touched many in the dive community. I'm in touch with the family and will provide more info when i have it. Sadly, i expect the update will be in the Passings forum.

I'm so sorry to hear and for you and her family and other friends. For the purpose of this learning subforum, please let us know if you get aanymore details on the accident. Thank you.

UPDATE March 22, 2022

Family arrived in the Azores yesterday and is by her side. Alison is in the COVID ward at a hospital in the Azores. She was removed from the respirator and was breathing on her own. HOWEVER, there is no sign of brain activity. Doctors have determined that there was nonrecoverable brain damage.

we still have limited information as to exactly what happened. It appears that she suffered some kind of cardiac event while diving. It is possible that this was due, in part, to COVID. She was triple vaccinated, but Alison is not the kind of person to let minor "sniffles" slow her down. So, it is very probable that she was unaware that she had COVID.

My condolences to friends and family. She seems to be a quite remarkable person.... I think the topic of complications of diving and Covid will be a topic that we'll be spending a significant amount of time discussing on the board.

Update and some details

Alison was working as a distinguished speaker on a Seaborn cruise. Having a few extra days after the cruise, she flew to the isle of St Michael in the Azores to do some diving. She loved to dive and sought out every opportunity to do so when given the opportunity. She was an experienced diver with diving all over the world. During that day she returned to the boat from only a few minutes of her dive, after not feeling well while underwater. Once on board Alison suffered cardiac arrest. They worked to aid her, but it took 20 min to return to shore and 10 min to get to the hospital. With the lack of oxygen, she did sustain extensive brain damage - the lowest in the rating scale (no response, no eye dilation, no reflex, no pain response). She was in a coma and immediately put on a respirator in the ICU at the hospital.

When her brother, his wife, and her cousin got there, she was removed from the respirator and quietly passed on March 23rd. There remains some question as to if COVID played a role or not.

I am so sorry. Can't even imagine the pain you all are going through. Sending prayers and hugs to you and everyone who was related/friends with her.

Very sad to hear, obvs a woman who lived life to the full, will remember her when i dive in Portugal. K

It sounds like the diving, the covid, and the heart attack were unrelated, only coincidentally occurring at the same time. Is this plausible? What link might there be between them?

Sorry for the loss too, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom