Dive Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much difference in terms of what? You get an extra 20mtrs dive depth, smaller buttons which are harder to press but some would say a more secure locking mechanism.

And it's thicker plastic...
I alway have a dive housing for scuba diving and use the standard housing for everything else... If I wreck that std housing with wat ever I do. I have a dive housing ready to go diving. Plus... Many people like to put their housing in the sun to take time lapse... That in the long run is not good for anything plastic....

I think that GoPro introduced the Dive Housing as a reaction to the problems of the standard housing opening at depth (when the front and back are pushed together more by pressure). I don't know anyone personally that this has happened to but if you dig a little, there have been some incidents...

The extra safety clip is a bit of a smoking gun eh? They haven't said anything official about it, but it seems logical that they saw the need for a more reliable housing for divers, and they went ahead and improved the build quality.

If you are taking your GoPro past 100 feet, it's worth having the dive housing. The nice thing is that you can keep the other housing for land use, and leave it attached to a separate mount. I keep mine with the thin 'touch' back door so I can access the Touch BacPac on land.

Lots of tips here: Facebook GoPro group
6.jpg

that is the old standard housing opening design ( hero1 and hero 2), which does and will cause it to be opened up under pressure. that design is gone and no longer affect the current 3+ or 3 standard housing

I will be going down to around 100ft. I think I read the dive housing has a flat lense over a curved lense? How much difference does this make to the footage.

---------- Post added September 26th, 2014 at 05:29 PM ----------

Thanks for the link. Lots of great information and the classes look great as well.

I will be going down to around 100ft. I think I read the dive housing has a flat lense over a curved lense? How much difference does this make to the footage.
All Hero3 housings have a flat lens. The curved lens was on the Hero2 and earlier housings and those housings were useless underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom