Dive Friendly Pools on The Peninsula

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OctoHelm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello ScubaBoard,

I hope this finds you all safe and healthy at home.

I am trying to find a pool where I can dive so I can prepare for my diving in the summer once the crisis clears up. I am in San Mateo, and am looking to find pools that can accomodate divers. If any of you know of pools that allow divers, and are deeper than 6 feet, please reply here. If any of you have any other information about pools that may be of use, please feel free to add it down here.

Thank you very much, and stay safe and healthy!

It’s not on the peninsula, but Pinnacles Dive Center in Novato has always been super accommodating with letting us use their pool for gear testing/etc

I haven't dove there personally, but I know Blue Endeavors (out of Alameda) teaches courses at pools in Menlo Park - "Menlo Swim & Sport", and "Belle Haven Pool". Probably both closed now, but might be worth a call. Diver Dan's dive shop is down in Santa Clara, they have a pool w/ 3' shallow end and 10' deep end. I used the pool during courses there. Not sure what the deal is if you're not in a class, but I have occasionally seen a couple divers in the pool who did not appear to be doing a class. They are presently pseudo-open as a shop, kinda doubt that they want people in the pool right now but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Diver Dan's dive shop is down in Santa Clara, they have a pool w/ 3' shallow end and 10' deep end. I used the pool during courses there. Not sure what the deal is if you're not in a class

I called Diver Dan’s once asking this and got a lengthy rant about the evils of people who ask to use the pool without buying equipment

I called Diver Dan’s once asking this and got a lengthy rant about the evils of people who ask to use the pool without buying equipment
Ha ha, that tracks. Maybe if you buy something nice and expensive they'll let you swim around for a bit, I have no idea :D. Only been in there for course work myself.

One option on the evils of people who do not buy equipment is renting cylinders to use in their pool. I say cylinders as in my case it's sidemount. Pinnacle's said sure to that.

On option on the evils of people who do not buy equipment is renting cylinders to use in their pool. I say cylinders as in my case its sidemount. Pinnacle's said sure to that.

We would have been happy to rent from Diver Dans to use the pool or even pay a fee, and we’d purchased equipment/classes from them on other occasions, but alas was not an option

When we called Pinnacles to use the pool and rent tanks (in our case :)), Rick couldn’t have been nicer or more flexible

Thank you so much for the replies! Has anyone had any experience with the pools at San Mateo College? I have heard that people can use their pools. Once everything opens up again, I will call them and ask if they can accomodate me. Do any of you have experience getting fills from Scuba Fusion or Diver Dan's? If so, please let me know if they were either good or bad.

Thank you all for responding, and please stay safe and healthy!

RE: Air fills
Every time I check with Scuba Fusion about fills, their compressor is broken. Plus, they didn't have a tech to work on regs. That was last year, unknown now. Tank fills at Diver Dan's was quick and a proper fill. Get an air fill card, it's bit cheaper. Bamboo Reef should be open in SF.

+1 at Pinnacles Dive Center with Rick. I was there last weekend doing an equipment check on a newly acquired, used dry suit.

Ask your friends who live in a condo or apt complex. If there's no problem with doing an equipment check in their pool, then go for it. Get a tank boot so as not to damage the pool. You'll probably be restricted to an evening pool session.

When I worked at the PJCC in Foster City, management allowed me to do an equipment check in the pool. Needless to say, I got some funny glances.

Hello! I am sorry to bring this thread back from the dead! I called Scuba Fusion, and they seem to be running, but to a very limited capacity. I think I will move to Diver Dan's as I still think Scuba Fusion's compressor is inoperative. I will see what I can figure out. I am hoping to go and dive in Monterey, but first I want a few hours in the pool to get my bearings back in over a year without diving, sadly. If you have any input, I would be happy to hear it!

Thank you guys so much, and I hope you all are doing well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom