Dive flag / bouy and where to keep it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dennisrl84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What is everyone's reccomendation for flags? I had one with a handle and I generally clipped it to the shoulder ring on my BCD because holding it was annoying. I would get wrapped up in it but found no good place to put it near my back. Recently it was stolen and I bought a reel type one with a thumb release.

Do I just need to suck it up and hold it or is there any better reccomendations?

Thanks!

Do you mean flag or DSMB?

If you mean folding flag, then some bungies on the cylinder, and strap it to the cylinder. You should be able to reach round to the bottom of the cylinder and pull it free.

SMB I have one bungied to the bottom of my back plate, and one in my drysuit pocket. I always have at least one spool (in my pocket), and one reel on the RH waist D ring.

(Penetration diving I carry at least one more reel.)

upload_2020-10-27_10-5-13.png
upload_2020-10-27_10-5-41.png

I generally hold on to it, occasionally hook off on the reef to swim around or in very brisk current. I often carry it by the hook rather than the reel, more comfortable for me. I have had my flag dragged by a boat twice, very glad I had the reel in my hand to rapidly release line rather than being dragged, potentially up. I have a few serious photography and/or hunter friends that will attach their flags to them, along with a float, to keep the line off of them and prevent entanglement. Nothing like getting your line irretrievably tangled on your back and having to remove your BC and cylinder to fix it, been there, done that :). I almost always dive solo, I guess if you have a buddy, no big deal.

I am not keen on having line connected to floaty things at the surface connected to me...it could prove problematic if the line gets snagged by a boat or someone's fishing gear...I would rather have the hassle of hanging on to a spool/reel and be able to let go of it if need be, or have it ripped from my grasp than be injured from getting pulled towards the surface unexpectedly. By the time one processes what is going on, pulls out a cutting tool, and effectively frees oneself it will most likely be too late.

-Z

If you mean SMB, as @scubadada has shown.

Then NEVER connect it to yourself. Unless you want to get pulled to the surface unexpectedly. There are too many things that can foul it. From lobster pot lines on a drift to boating traffic, or curious non divers!

That's the first lesson of SMB use. (Same goes for DSMB's)

That's the first lesson of SMB use. (Same goes for DSMB's)

I thought the first lesson of SMB use was "Don't talk about SMB use!"....or maybe that was the first lesson of something else...hmmm.

:troll::wink:

-Z

I am not keen on having line connected to floaty things at the surface connected to me...it could prove problematic if the line gets snagged by a boat or someone's fishing gear...I would rather have the hassle of hanging on to a spool/reel and be able to let go of it if need be, or have it ripped from my grasp than be injured from getting pulled towards the surface unexpectedly. By the time one processes what is going on, pulls out a cutting tool, and effectively frees oneself it will most likely be too late.

-Z
I learned that lesson last Thursday on a shore dive. 3 people fishing were intentionally hooking and stealing dive flags.

Do you mean flag or DSMB?

If you mean folding flag, then some bungies on the cylinder, and strap it to the cylinder. You should be able to reach round to the bottom of the cylinder and pull it free.

SMB I have one bungied to the bottom of my back plate, and one in my drysuit pocket. I always have at least one spool (in my pocket), and one reel on the RH waist D ring.

(Penetration diving I carry at least one more reel.)
Sorry, I am not familiar with the term SMB or DSMB?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom