Dive flag and shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What is the standard for shore diving, are you expected to tow a bouy and flag while you are diving? Going to Bonaire and I'm sure it will become apparent when we get there but I'd like to know ahead of time. Thanks for any info!

On Bonaire? No dive flag needed. Most swims out to the reef are relatively short (300' or less) and the swim back in can be done underwater till you can stand up. This is also a great way to do a safety stop without doing a safety stop, if you get what I mean.

I'll be in Bonaire in another month. My 8th trip there in 4 1/2 years.

What is the norm for shore diving say in Florida.

I personally think one should always use a dive flag, especially anywhere there are small boats, or PWC around. There are no international laws that I am aware of regarding dive flags, and each of the states here in the US has their own laws. Still a good idea. Dive flags are not required in Thailand, and a diver got his head lopped off several years ago just off Koh Tao.

Depends on location. On the FL panhandle there are signs requiring it in some places, and you can see why. Where we live in Nova Scotia you may see 3 boats in the diving areas all summer. No need there, just something extra to drag around.

One of the reasons for differences is that the terrain is different in different places. If you dive Cozumel, for example, the towering coral/sponge features would be destroyed by the lines attached to dive flags, so it is not done there. In South Florida, in comparison, most of the reefs are small enough that you swim on top of them or next to them, with little chance that the line will run into anything and become entangled.

In Bonaire, the diving is primarily steep but sloping walls, and, once again, with the currents and all, there is a good chance a line leading from depth to a surface float could become entangled.

Different places also have different rules. Here in Colorado the reservoirs in which diving is allowed generally require dive flags, and you can draw a hefty fine without one.

To the OP's question, Bonaire does not require a dive flag.

As for the wisdom of using one, my opinion is significantly different....

My experience has shown me that a dive flag is nothing more than a target. Your chances of being hit/run over/etc. increase because of one.

This has been my personal experience and that of my friends.

For a dive flag to enhance safety, it presupposes that boaters actually know what one is and what it means. In fact, virtually all boaters have no clue. Hence we see dive flags used as turn buoys, water ski practice, or a magnet for boaters to cruise by and look it over out of curiosity. Occasionally they will try to pull it up, with you attached.

Here's a typical day at Lake Tahoe:

BoatByFlag.jpg

I will only tow a dive flag where directed by law.

All the best, James

What is the norm for shore diving say in Florida.

If you're in water where there is any boating traffic what so ever you should be using a dive flag, no excuses! Dive from a boat, fly the flag on the boat. Drift or shore dive, tow it.

I tend to agree with fDog. Things floating in the water tend to bring boaters over to them. I've been on 60-80 foot dive boats with the flag painted on the boat and watched the captains screaming at oncoming boats to stay away to no avail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom