Dive essentials checklist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bamabowtie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am not looking for a checklist of fins, mask, reg, BC etc.

I am looking for a checklist of the maybe not so obvious dive essentials.

I know I need:
- 2 cutting tools (I'm thinking a Z-knife and a pair of shears)
-SMB (on a spool clipped off on back D ring, correct?)

Are there anh other "essentials" that should be on every diver?

wet notes
smb and spool
spare mask

all in the thigh pockets.

wet notes
smb and spool
spare mask

all in the thigh pockets.

When diving wet, what are your options for thigh pockets? I am familiar with X-shorts. What else is there?

Also, where are you supposed to attach/keep Z-knife and shears assuming you are using a BP/W?

I also carry whistle and mirror and glow-stick (in the right pocket with wetnotes and spare mask).

Spool and SMB in the left pocket.

I use Dive Right thigh pockets (both left and right for wetsuit and only left for drysuit since drysuit has right pocket).

When diving wet, what are your options for thigh pockets? I am familiar with X-shorts. What else is there?

Also, where are you supposed to attach/keep Z-knife and shears assuming you are using a BP/W?

pockets:

Dive Rite Thigh Pocket discounts on sale Dive Rite

Oxycheq X Pocket discounts on sale OxyCheq

If you look at pure dimensions, I think the OMS pocket is the largest if memory serves me correctly and it is the best value right now at $24.95 from LP

If you order from Scuba Toys phone your order or in the notes section ask for your 10% scubaboard discount.

OMS Thigh Pocket

4th item down Pocket, Pouches & Tec Pants Piranha Dive Manufacturing

FYI Piranha has a killer sale on spools that ends today under the black Friday specials

I keep a small blunt tip knife on the waist belt of my harness in the center and my shears in my thigh pocket. I also keep another blunt tip knife on my right side all the way to the right to tuck my long hose under since I don't yet have a can light.

I would also recommend a flash light for dives day or night if you are going to be diving in the ocean. You might consider reading http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...ignalling-equipment-searchers-point-view.html if you are going to do any offshore diving. You will most likely never need the stuff, but there are many cheap suggestions that would be helpful to have if something hits the fan.

These guys run good sales too
Dive Right In Scuba | Plainfield scuba diving lessons and scuba equipment. We also provide scuba certification for the Chicago area.

For a cutting device, I'd highly recommend the Trilobite Eezy-Cut line cutter. I'd seen video of this thing before, but I got to play with one in Mexico, and all three of us ended up buying one. They're really amazing, and come with a spare blade, too.

I carry a rescue mask and sting salve in a pocket attached to the shoulder strap of my BCD and a waterproof car key in the inside pocket of my wet suit.

Dive Rite pockets have a neoprene back. I glued them to my wetsuits with gorilla snot. 5 or 6 coats on the pocket, and on the suit, then stick them together.
I just stuck a dry bag in the leg of the wetsuit to stretch the material to the size it would be with my leg in it.
Mark the pocket outline first while wearing the suit.
I wish the Dive Rite pockets were a little deeper.
-Mitch

I bought some XS Scuba Drysuit Pockets and had them sown onto my wetsuit.

Knife or shears on the waist strap and z-knife on my computer wrist strap.

As far as essentials: take only what you need for the dive. If you are Ocean diving, I would definitely have a spool and a SMB.

I always have a backup light under my arm clipped to my chest D-ring. I attach it like this.

Back
Top Bottom