DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #703: YOU MISSED ME... I MISSED THIS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #703: YOU MISSED ME... I MISSED THIS

While I lay in a hospital bed for weeks at a time, you my loyal readers had an opportunity to re-read several of my previous columns as Barbara kept them coming at you. If you're like me, it sometimes takes two or three reads of a column for me to understand what I wrote! Here's why you were treated to the vintage articles.

I went in for an emergency appendectomy May 2nd, the day before I was to fly out to the Maldives in the Indian Ocean to film more footage of manta rays, whale sharks and other subjects for future DVDs and columns. Needless to say, I was not able to make my flight and missed out on that incredible opportunity. I'll have to re-book soon before the Maldives sink below sea level (like some of my former students) due to the rising ocean levels.

They discovered that my appendix had a very rare type of cancer so follow up surgery was scheduled for late July. At least I got a month of diving in before that and had a nice weekend diving in our kelp forests with buddy Catherine Ngo before I went in for surgery. My hospital stay was to be just one week, but you know what they say about how to stay healthy. I'm not referring to an apple a day; but to the adage that if you want to stay well, stay out of hospitals.

There was some early cancer on my colon, so a portion of it was removed but the surgery rendered me cancer free. Thanks to complication after complication, I was bedridden for nearly five weeks and had a second surgery. Thanks to this greatly extended stay, I missed out on meeting up with my old friends Jean-Michel Cousteau and Dr. Richard Murphy at Cousteau Family Camp in mid-August. My surgeon did release me on September 1st, but within days I was back in the hospital with yet another infection.

This third stay exhausted my Medicare days so I was dumped into a nursing home for the last 10 days of my confinement. Believe me, this was hardly the place to go to heal... but the dismal conditions did accelerate my desire to get back to the island ASAP. Fortunately my son Kevin liberated me from there and brought me back to the island where I continue to heal here in paradise.

This third incarceration interfered with yet another marine biological event. The BBC had contacted me a few months ago about their desire to film several species in our waters for their incredible Blue Planet TV series. I had given them a number of suggestions about where to find these critters and the best time to do so. Two of the fish they were interested in were favorites of mine, the orangethroat pikeblenny (Cheanopsis alepidota), whose courtship antics are far more interesting than mine; and the Pacific torpedo or electric ray (Torpedo californica), which can be an electrifying subject. They hoped I would be able to dive and film with them.

The film crew came out in September as I lay flat in my hospital bed. I begged with my doctors and nurses to spring me for this project, but it was obvious (even to me) there was no way I could dive even if they did let me escape. I still had a hole in my colon and another in my abdomen. Filming for BBC would have been yet another highlight in my career... but fate interceded. At least I'll be able to provide them with some footage they need.

So I'm sure all my readers missed me over the last 11 weeks. Thanks to many of you for your support. I missed you as well. And I also missed a lot of great opportunities to film more interesting critters. It will be a while before I dive again as there is a possibility of another surgery in my future. I'll really have to be creative in writing future columns until I can once again descend with my camera in hand.

© 2016 Dr. Bill Bushing. For the entire archived set of over 700 "Dive Dry" columns, visit my website Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Home Page

Image caption: Orangethroat pikeblenny male courtship display and female inside male's tube (left); torpedo or electric ray at Farnsworth Bank, Catalina Island.

DDDB 703 what I missed sm.jpg

Hang in there Dr. Bill, I too hope to visit Catalina Island some day and dive with you! Best wishes for a speedy recovery now so that you are back out and under the sea.

So glad you're on the mend and back on the island Bill, you've been missed here...

Bill,

Glad you are up and around and once again freely dispensing your vast knowledge with accompanying photographs of local SoCal marine life-- information that is lacking in the modern diving world and so necessary to complete the individual as a "diver."

I also send from the main land most sincere appreciation for your continuing unbridled efforts as the unofficial yet official greeter and SCUBA ambassador at the Catalina dive park.

The Catalina divers and the diving world needs you God speed in your recovery !

SDM

You've definitely been missed. When I finally made it out to California's Channel Islands on a Truth Aquatics boat (you were one of the posters who's content helped me plan the trip), the day we dove by Santa Catalina Island, it felt weird thinking 'Bill's not here.'

I did see one electric ray (pretty close up; it approached, and didn't seem intimidated by me). I don't know how many species you have; is this a Pacific torpedo ray?

thumb_IMG_1788_1024_zpssrosxyn7.jpg

Richard.

Glad to see you're back, I always enjoy your articles. The old ones were not a problem for me, as I've only started reading you in the past year or so.

Welcome back Bill.

Richard inquired :

"I did see one electric ray (pretty close up; it approached, and didn't seem intimidated by me). I don't know how many species you have; is this a Pacific torpedo ray?

thumb_IMG_1788_1024_zpssrosxyn7.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Richard,
Appears to be a big round something--Next time you see one be sure you grab it firmly -- then you will never ever forget what it is ...A life time thrill

Amd you will have stories and stories to tell your friends, neighbors and patents in Paducah (?)

SDM

Back
Top Bottom