Dive Doctor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cheezeburgernfries

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has information about becoming a dive doctor. I am in medical school and am a certified open water diver. I just returned from diving in the Ambergris Cayes of Belize and am thinking about one day moving there and being a dive related-doctor.

After medical school, I would like to specialize in surgery and one day become a dive a doctor working with hyperbaric medicine.

Does anyone know anything about becoming a dive doctor in the Ambergris Cayes? Maybe I could do a rotation or part of a residency there.

Thank you.

Hi

I did a course years ago with Dan Rukowski and was certified in Hyperbaric Medicine and Treatment and I worked along with Otto Rodriguez for years at Ambergris Cayes Hyperbaric Chamber, however it was all on a voluntry basis and I was not paid but it was extremely interesting and I really learnt a lot treating, all sorts of Dive Ailments.

You can check out Dicks training center which is in the Florida Keys his website is

Hyperbarics International :: Home Highly reccomended.

Now as for being a dive doctor I beleive it will be more of a specialty skill rather than a full time skill and additional areas of expertise will be needed but for sure it can only add to your resume.

Good Luck with it

Gaz Cooper

Belize can always use another good doctor. Plus being a dive doctor....added bonus. But I doubt you'd be very busy if you only specialized in dive medicine. There aren't many cases of DCS here on a weekly basis that I know of.
But next time you're in town....I've been getting a bit of a reverse block in my left ear.....:D

AFAIK Belize follows the US idea of not having doctors trained for diving as such, but rather as Gaz says just doing some specialties. In Britain it's different and there are specific dive doctor qualifications. You might investigate what's involved in the British scenario. In most things Belize follows a British lead (having been a British colony) modified by more recent US practice.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their quick replies and information. I really appreciate your comments.

Back
Top Bottom