Dive destinations for new parents & grandparents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bonaire.
There's a reason for that - compared to many places with good diving it's harder to get to while having much less of interest topside for the non-divers/grandparents. Bonaire is perfect for some people but not the answer to everything!

sit on the "beach"
If you actually want to sit on the beach at your resort on Bonaire there's about 2-3 that have that.
And let's be real - the road along the beach is miles of ironshore with small patches of sand with irosnhore/coral rubble off shore - I'm sure they don't want to shred the childerns feet. Or make them wear dive boots.
Compared to maybe a dozen resorts on Curacao. And probably double that many nice, sandy, low current beaches.

Also I can name all the non-dive things to do on Bonaire on one hand.

Bonaire is also a beyond flight and often 2nd connection from a larger hub. Not too fun with an infant.

Some of the other destinations mentioned might even be direct flights depending on the OP's origin. Assuming it's SFO - that puts at least 3 Hawaiian islands on the map as long but direct flights. Get the kid(s) settled down and let them sleep till you get there. It's what we've done in the past with my 2-4 yr old niece on family trips.

Or 1 stops thru Houston, Dallas or Charlotte (to the Turks/Caicos.) to some of the more popular destinations that offer good diving, great beaches and other amenities.

What Damselfish said...I wouldn't even take my parents to Bonaire alone as they'd be bored by the 2nd day. And they're pretty easily amused.
Let alone with small kids?:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom