DIVE DEPTH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuts4corals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to get an idea what dive depth for most reefs around the below areas in Belize are...

1. Ambegris reefs
2. Turneffe reefs
3. lighthouse reefs

I'm looking for average depth. I understand than this will range on dive sites ect. But know from experience that some places are a certain depth like blue hole I see is normally a 130 foot deep dive. I know I won't like blue hole at all. first due to its depths and second because it does not offer the type of dive that I am looking to see. a huge clue is my screen name here. If I'm not looking at corals and reef fish, to me its not a dive :wink: and when you go deeper than say +/- 90 feet even if there is corals there, they all look blue. I do however, like swim throughs

I specifically would like to know how deep silver cave is? something that I think I would still like.

In my experience, typically the first dive is to 70 and the second dive is to 60 feet max.

That's a maximum, so you'll spend most of your time at less than that. A typical dive is around 60 feet, anywhere from 40 to 60 feet depending on where you are. Then again, if something worth taking a look at is deeper, you might head down there to check it out, then ascend and carry on. It's all about no deco diving.

I haven't been to Silver Cave.

Perfect!!! 60-70 feet sounds like bliss to me.

I've been all over the Caribbean and I can tell you that once you get over a wall and past say 50 or 60 feet there isn't much to see. Expect most of the good stuff to be in the 25-50' range in most places.

I was there on a liveaboard a week ago. It was a lot of walls, so you can pick your depth. Most started at about 30-40 ft. So everyone could adjust their depth according to their air consumption. Never did find the caves on the silver cave dive. But I think they were around the 60ft mark. The blue hole was a bucket list dive and I probably wouldn't do it again. We only spent a couple minutes at depth, not a lot to see, except the stalagmites. For me it was a chance to go deep, think I hit 144 ft on that dive.

Nice... thanks for that report. I heae yah on the blue hole dive. I find most do it to say they have been there would not do it again. I have been to depth 135 ft to know I didnt like it. The wreak was cool but can spend much time down there so whats thr point. Other than some non photosynthetic corals and some big fish to see nothing else there.

Follow up... do you prefer livaboards more than land based travels?

Nice... thanks for that report. I heae yah on the blue hole dive. I find most do it to say they have been there would not do it again. I have been to depth 135 ft to know I didnt like it. The wreak was cool but can spend much time down there so whats thr point. Other than some non photosynthetic corals and some big fish to see nothing else there.

Follow up... do you prefer livaboards more than land based travels?

I've done 1 of each this year. I did a week long trip to Bonaire, which while fun definitely required some more coordination and planning each day. While the liveaboard was all about dive, dive, dive and let them take care of the planning. While fun and relaxing, it was quite exhausting near the end of the week. But, you couldn't beat the easy entry/exit off the boat and the food was amazing. As I traveled solo on the liveaboard, it was great for meeting new people and easy to find a dive buddy.

So, I think in the end I prefer the liveaboard, especially when I just want to dive.

Thanks for that info... i always wanted to do a liveaboard...

From what I remember and my dive log looks like most of the dives I did around Ambergris were in the 45-70 foot range, but I was a newer diver so may have requested shallower dives, don't remember sorry. But don't think any of the dives were over 70 feet and most time spent in the 30-50 foot range. Can only speak to Caye Caulker/Ambergris region though. Biggest thing for me honestly was we had a few days with decent, short period swells outside the reef and trying to get back on a boat in 6 foot seas was for me as a newer diver, a bit... invigorating shall we say. I broke a watch catching the transom of a boat coming down on me when I put my arm up to protect my head, current pulled me under the boat and didn't get negative in time. To put it in perspective lol, it was also the only place i have every seen someone throw up through a regulator on the surface due to seasickness. So maybe just check what the ocean conditions are expected to be like outside the reef before going. and for all you east coast and blue water divers, i know, i know, 6 foot seas are nothing lol, see new diver part

Back
Top Bottom