dive computers advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mostly, buying used computers is a real crapshoot. Nobody except Shearwater extends the warranty on any of their computers beyond the original owner. You could be a 1-week old Aqualung, but if you bought it from an individual instead of an authorized dealer, no warranty.

On the other hand, Shearwater gives a 2 year warranty and it transfers to any new owner.

Plus, you're pretty unlikely to need to invoke the warranty on a Shearwater. And even if it's out of warranty, they do repairs quickly and inexpensively. A used Petrel or even Predator would give you everything you're asking for and should be somewhere around half the cost of a new Perdix, I think.

If you decide to ante up for a brand new one, to ME, the Teric is worth the extra money. Just my opinion, as an owner of 2 Predators, a Perdix AI, and, now, 2 Terics. I have put my money where my mouth is. :)

Side note: The Predator is older, but even easier to read than the Petrel or Perdix. The Predator is an AMOLED display (as is the Teric) and the others are LCD.

A few months ago I bought a used Petrel 2. Used it for the first time last week in Bonaire. Best dive investment I've made so far and I own a SP MK25/S600 and Nighthawk BCD.

And apparently, DeepBlu has a leak problem. Dive Gear Express switched to Watoom, not cheap at $400, some proprietary Buhlmann algorithm, have seen nothing about it.

I see it for $300. Is "$400" a typo?

Back
Top Bottom