Dive computer integration with android apps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viper12161

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
You guys and gals have been tremendous in answering all my questions. In today's installment of I need to learn everything there is about Scuba....curious on dive software. I'm going to be getting a Luna in the next week or so from an awesome SB member. As I started researching it and how to use, i started wondering about dive log software. I downloaded LogTrak and took a look at it. From what I can gather, that seems to be the software to use with the SP computers. I am currently logging my dives manually in an app on my phone. ( DiveLog Pro) I know the Luna uses IR to communicate to my computer and upload to Logtrak. So my question is, once I get the info into Logtrak, can I export it somewhere else, like my app? Or does Logtrack need to become my new logbook? Any other options I have? I didn't really play with it too much yet (don't have the dive computer yet). But it doesn't seem like I can do a manual entry into Logtrak, so I won't be able to record what I already have in my app (and my written) log. As always, thanks for all the help!!!!

PS..I'm a Project Manager, so I like to prepare...a lot...prior to doing something and find out whatever I can. Especially if it's really new to me. So appreciate all the help and patience with me asking 50 million questions :)

Take a look at Subsurface. It's free for Windows, Mac, and Linux and has Android and iPhone apps. You can probably transfer your already logged dives from it as it has the ability to import but if your current logbook won't export you can manually enter them into Subsurface. And it supports direct download from a wide range of DC manufacturers. It is very extensive with lots of dive information and has a planner.

I, as well as several others on SB, highly recommend it.

+ for Subsurface. One of the initiators of the subsurface app is Linus Torvalds; it runs fine on my Android phone, my Ipad, and my Windows laptop; and I've transferred/downloaded dive logs from Suunto and two Shearwater dive computers.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. I downloaded it last night. I'll try importing my other dives and play around with it a bit and see how it goes.

Another +1 for Subsurface.

I have some dives which were manually entered from paper logs, some from my first DC (Cressi) and others from Shearwater. All worked pretty easily.

Once uploaded it is easy to add information to the dives such as notes, weight used (as well as where), tanks size/volume, exp[osure protection, map location etc.

If you ever find a feature missing, as it is open source, you can request a feature and if the various development people see benefit in it, they will look at incorporating it.

I also use Subsurface. It works great. Note they call RMV - SAC but a minor issue as long as you know.
Beside logging, it's also a decent planner, if/when you require one.

A hidden benefit to subsurface is that if you ever switch to another computer, you get continuity in using the same software. I've used 3 different computers now, but all the data is in one place. Subsurface also works on windoze, linux, and osux.

You'll also want to install Scubapro's smarttrak. It will let you configure the dive computer from your PC.

+1 for Subsurface. Worked better than the manufacturer's software for my first DC (Suunto Mosquito).

But the best thing about using open-source instead of proprietary software is the ability to modify it to your requirements. I just had the pleasure of working with Linus Torvalds in getting support for the DeepBlu Cosmiq+ added to Subsurface.

Looks like the Luna is already supported so you should be good to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom